Chapter 27 - Having The Last Word

Chapter 27: Having The Last Word

  He was muttering under his breath the whole time we travelled back to the pack, not daring to speak a word to me over the previous matter. I could pick out quite a few aggressive tones in his voice as he did so, but I stayed separate from them as well as I could. But my face still stayed buried in his shoulder, eyes shut tightly so that I could see the colored starbursts of light beneath my eyelids. 

  Things changed so quickly before me in the past months, my mind was still trying to grasp the first things that had cut through my normality. “Why?” I moaned, meaning for it to be inside my head, but my thoughts were running rampant.

  Tristan’s ranting paused, and I just squeezed my eyes shut tighter, threatening to allow the blue dots in the darkness to take over. I shouldn’t really have spoken out loud, but my mouth was being quite deceptive today. Today should just end, and I could wake up tomorrow with a clean slate. And to think this morning I had woken up depressed I was going to die… “He’s not going to get you, you know? I’m not going to let him,” Tristan rumbled, and I tightened my hold on his arm.

 What I had told Ian was true, even if I didn’t totally know it at the time I spoke it, I did love Tristan. However unfortunate that might be, it wasn’t a lie. And despite the way he acted towards me, that undeniably irritating personality, when he said stuff like that, I felt safe around him.

  But I wasn’t about to admit that, and managed to tear my face and arms away from him to slink back into my own seat again. Eyes opened I looked directly out the window, trying to blink away the dots that I had recently admired in my site. Feeling Tristan’s eyes on me I huffed, “I don’t need you to protect me; I can perfectly handle myself…” I said simply, and could practically hear his hands tighten on the steering wheel.

  I had managed to take care of myself before I met him, why did now knowing him automatically make me a hopeless mess? Not under my watch was I going to turn into one of those girls that fell to their knees from a threat, or hide behind a guy when greeted with such a threat.

  “And how do you propose being able to do that?” he said lowly, keeping his temper in check. I was positive that he would go back there and hunt down Ian if I wasn’t here to make him have to drag me with my heels in the dirt the whole way.

  How was I planning on doing that…? I just shook my head, “I don’t need to explain myself to you, it’s pointless. Just don’t bother trying and protecting me, I can do it myself.”

  “Oh yeah… well you don’t have much background in any of this, you practically know nothing about this kind of threat, Sam,” he scoffed; there was a crack in my finger as my newly clenched fist pressed against the door.

  At his words, I whipped around facing him fully, my tone furious, “And you do?! You’re lucky I saved your sorry butt from that fight, if it would have escalated into an actual fight, you would’ve lost!!”

  His eyes left the road, but I wasn’t exactly worried about that at this point, even if he couldn’t have won that fight, he still could drive blind-folded down these familiar country roads. I had surprised him with that last sentence, his mouth dropped in shock. I couldn’t help but have a gone-unnoticed smirk in my head, just for surprising him, but on the outside I flinched at my own words. But just like so-called love for him, this was true too.

  Just as quickly as shock had come over his features, all of a sudden his mouth closed into a hard firm line and his muscles tensed further on the wheel, eyes turning into narrowed slits of steel. “I could have handled it,” he growled, “You didn’t need to barge in and about get your own self killed in the process,”