Chapter 12 - Only a Wolf

Chapter 12: Only a Wolf

  "Has it really already been four months?" I asked incredulously, almost choking on the food that I had just ate. Rebecca giggled, leaning into Kyle's side who was smiling broadly. Quinn just shrugged but finally answered, "Apparently they had been dating over the summer," then she looked accusingly at the two of them, "Without telling us!" she hissed the 'us', and it just caused Rebecca to giggle some more. 

  "Yeah, its been four months, its not that long," Kyle said simply, but I gave him a pointed look, almost risking saying "Four months is a world record for you," but even the thought of saying the words brought memories of when me and him were a couple back to mind. I managed to muffle the thought by shoveling in another forkful of salad.

  No one noticed the sudden way that I closed off from the conversation-well no one besides Kyle, who regarded me curiously as Rebecca continued chattering, close at his side. I gave him a small smile, and continued eating slowly, the whole lunch room just becoming a buzz in my ear as I closed my mind off from all the conversations.

  But sooner or later, my fork hit the plastic plate, having scraped all the last remnants of the green leaves away. The meal was definitely not as big as I thought it'd be, but I sighed and started piling all the trash from the other trays onto mine. "Wait...where are you going, Sam?" Quinn said, automatically concerned, but I just shrugged.

  "Just the library, we have a research project on something on Physics next hour, so I figure why not just get a head start," she stared blankly at my answer, but I got up anyway, not really requiring their permission to go and study. "Have fun," I said as I walked away.

  I only briefly stopped to dump the tray of half eaten food into the trashcan, before waltzing out the lunchroom doors. I had taken most of my books with me to lunch so I wasn't all that worried about having to stop by my locker; instead I just went down the halls towards the large double doors that opened into the library. The two walls that lined the doors were clear shelves that held random books that the librarians or students had recommended; behind I could make out the front desk with a woman sitting behind the computer.

  The hard floor instantly turned into carpet as I stepped into the library, my foot steps muted by the softness of it, even though it wasn't exactly a soft type of carpet. A lady, her gray hair tied neatly into a tight bun on the top of her head, looked at me over the bride of her angular glasses. Just a glance and she was back to typing on her computer, the screen tilted too far away from my vision for me to make out exactly what she was looking at. I halted at the part of desk near her, to neatly scrawl my name in the check in, glancing up to see her not even regarding me out of the corner of her eye. With a sigh I made my way over to the rows of desktop computers that were surrounding the balcony that looked down into the book part of the library, with the rows of different colored bindings barely seeable from the computer desks.

  I snapped on the power button and threw my books onto the counter space next to me, and plopped down in the swivel chair, as the screen booted to life. I gave a long look around the library, not surprised to find only a few meagering souls scattered around the large room, spread out between the shelves and desks, some working on personal laptops and others just kicking back and reading books, but other the occasional turn of pages and the clacking of computer keys, the library was totally silent. It definitely wasn't an uncomfortable silence I had always found libraries to radiate calmness, someplace I could relax.

  The moment the internet browser appeared my hands attracted to the keyboard, and my book was open to the url's that I had written down for the websites we were supposed to research for the assignment. But instead, my fingers floated above the keys slightly, drifting towards a different set of letters than I had written down. I found myself on the site to the college I had applied to, one of many, but this one was the one I had my eyes on.