Chapter 15 - Future

Chapter 15: Future 

  "No. I just want a milkshake" I stressed into the tiny box of a speaker. It was cold out still and I despised having to keep my window down in front of the McDonalds drive through for so long. 

  "So you want...a milkshake?" I shook my head yes about to reply when the lady interrupted me again, "a cheeseburger, and a large French fry?"

  I screeched in my head as I fell back against the headrest of my seat, "No! I - never mind" I pulled away, my tires screeching slightly, which probably wasn't healthy for my car but I was ticked off at drive-throughs and the person attending it. As I passed the pick up window I saw the lady with the earphone look at me with a mixture of shock and curiosity.

  "How could she get it wrong-really? How is it possible that she heard me say cheeseburger and Large French fry?" I muttered to myself, and the sad radio that at this point wasn't getting any stations for whatever reason. It was Monday afternoon, the last day of our school's long weekend, but at least that meant only three more weeks until our three week long winter vacation.

  I had kept my mouth closed about where I went Friday night, to my dad. He hadn't pried, and instead of having a stress induced weekend that I had been expecting, he actually took the rest of my stay off and we had hit the town. I ended up a backpack, new jeans, and a sweater richer and having kept a positive mood until I had pulled up into the fast food restaurant drive through window. I really wanted to go back and we had decided that I could come the last week of winter break, for New Years, and we could have our own little Christmas celebration.

  A sigh escaped my lips as I pulled onto the highway once more, only about a half hours drive to go before I could go home. Five weeks was yet another long period of time to be away from my only family member but I just would charge through it. Like I did every time.

  There was a sharp trill that sounded through the car, and caused me to jolt, that was certainly noticed by the cars behind me as I jerked and swerved into oncoming traffic. I quickly turned the wheel and was back into the right lane, a sound of horns going down the opposite side of the highway at me. Just now realizing what the trilling was, I kept a careful eye on the road as I felt around the bench seat for my cell phone. My hand closed around it and I managed to answer it just as the last signal was sounding.

  "Hello?" I asked, forgetting to check the caller ID before answering.

  "You coming home yet?" a voice asked and I immediately recognized them.

  "Rayne? How did you get my number? And yes, I'm coming home, only a half hour away, why?" I asked incruedousely.

  He chuckled on the other end, "I have my sources-"he started sounding utterly proud about that he knew something I didn't. I cleared my throat and he cracked, "Fine, Tristan told me."

  "How did he know my number?" I asked, even more surprised. I don't remember at any point giving him my cell number, I don't even recollect if I gave him my home number.

  "Now that-that I have no idea, you'll have to ask him. So you are coming home?"

  "Yes, like I said, I'm only half an hour away, why?"

  "Just wondering, our mother has been anxious to see you, wondering if you faired well on the roads, at night," he stressed, but sounded the same carefree guy I was used to. That made me think about Ian's words, 'The new one is nothing more than a Beta on a good day, no sense of authority over his pack'. Sure he was a guy who didn't let much get to him, but he cared deeply about protecting his family and pack. And who was I to trust a strange werewolf's word? A scared person.