Chapter 24 - Fogged Up Hearts

Chapter 24: Fogged Up Hearts:

  My finger re-traced the outline of the heart that had been drawn on the window a hundred times. It left a smudged and jagged heart, from my awkward angle I was sitting next to the window on the bench like sill. As my breath was blown back across the window from my warm exhale, it disappeared in a cloud of fog, and left only a subtle outline where I’d have to trace it yet again. 

  This, staring out the window all day, was my life for the past two days, maybe more if I bothered to remember back that far. The window seat had become my home, settled in the darkness of Tristan’s room, which I’m sure he wanted back by now. I didn’t care; all I wanted was to be left here to sulk. Learning that your going to possibly die wasn’t something you could just shake off, at least if you had my personality. I never realized how truly happy I had felt, even when discouraged or angry or depressed about my life before all this; but now it crashed down on me as it was all swept away. To be shoved under a rug.

  Downstairs there was always a constant source of sound. Whether it be conversation or someone rummaging through the seemingly never ending kitchen, it was always present, not even late into the night anymore. I tried so hard to block out the television that was in the living room in a slanted direction below me, but the sound of any comedians voice that Rayne loved to watch, grated my patience. Not only that, but the pack seemingly had practically moved into the pack house; more people coming in that leaving. Meeting after meeting had been held in the Alpha Office, the voices only dull and monotone; the room had been made sound proof so someone even with my hearing couldn’t hear their conversations clearly. But the endless way that there were outbursts and angry fights being held downstairs, made me certain that I had something to do with it all.

  The snow fell in a constant blanket, covering the ground by three inches at least. I had cracked the window open, but didn’t dare go outside to cool down my raging temperature. Snow still was awful, even if it didn’t feel as cold anymore. The blanket that someone had put over my shoulders last night when I fell asleep was puddle on the floor besides the seat I was in; beads of sweat had formed and fell down my neck over the night with that thing on.

  At least I was sitting at the bench by the window, the day before I had moved over all I had done was lay in the bed, but laying down with the heater beside the bed had become altogether too uncomfortable. My guess is it was Tristan’s or Rayne’s idea to flush me out of the room and get me up and out of there; but I just moved to the window, and they wouldn’t dare step close enough to me to reach over and shut it.

  I heard another outburst from the office downstairs, and something slam; like fisted hands against a table. Things were getting pretty heated in this argument. My face twisted into a growl, and I saw my fist flash before my eyes and hit the glass window with a sharp thud. My knuckles had met the glass, and rested there; motionless. But a thin sliver of a spider web line spiraled off from the connection my fist had made. I scowled at the window, reminding myself my strength was definitely greater than before.

  There was a faint buzz against my hip and I reached instinctively down to my pants pocket. Surprisingly my cell phone was still planted in the pocket, running out of battery, sure; but it was still there. I slid it open, and there was a bold announcement that said I had one voicemail. My eyebrows scrunched together, no one left me voice mails except Quinn and my Dad, and the number was very different from both of them. Sighing I re-called the voicemail.

  “You have one un-read message,” a monotone woman said, the operator, she announced the date which had been a day earlier.

  “Hey, Sammy!” It was definitely Quinn, her voice was overly chirpy and happy, that it made me flinch in my depressing attitude, “Sorry I couldn’t call you earlier, but I left my phone on my bed before we headed to the airport. I’m calling you from a payphone in Cabo, San Lucas, having an awesome time by the way, I really wish you could have left your schoolwork long enough to come up here with us, but I totally understand.” I had totally forgotten about the vacation her parents took us on each year for winter break, they weren’t big family Christmas people, and preferred to spend it in warmer climates than here in the bitter cold. “Oops, my times running out, stupid operator took up most of it, gotta go anyway. Talk to you when next week when we get back at school, Love ya,” she said, and there was a click and the line went dead.