Chapter 8 - Just One More Time

Chapter 8: Just One More Time

  "Williams...Willaims...Samantha!" someone yelled, and I shot up in my desk, I swear that there might have been a piece of paper stuck to my forehead. I blinked my eyes dazedly, looking around at the blurry field of vision. But as they focused I looked up at a concerned Mr. Dubose. Nope wrong class, I didn't have paper stuck to my face, it was most likely wood dust. 

  "Sorry..." I mumbled, rubbing my eyes with my hands, I had fallen asleep on the warm square table in the middle of Woodshop. Monday was not a good day for me, especially the weekend after the party, that could have practically lasted all on into Sunday by the way Quinn kept dragging me from store to store at the mall, demanding that I get dresses.

  "Are you alright?" he asked, trying not to sound super concerned, but he was one of the teachers that had found out that I didn't have my father around, and my mother, well she was gone. Dusting the sawdust off my jeans, looking around at all the nonchalant eyes that located in on me for falling asleep. I caught Tristan not giving me a glance, headphones plugged into his ears as he drilled away into a piece of wood, a devilish smirk on his face.

  "Yeah, I'm fine...I'll just be getting back to my project," I said getting up and picking up the blueprints for my entertainment center piece.

  Mr. Dubose gave me a wary look, before doing a good thing on his part, and shrugging his shoulders and moving on to his nonchalant way of lounging around the room, casually glancing at peoples projects. So far mine would be one of the bigger ones, being a senior, and having a bit of experience in here, I had a year of this class under my belt. I had taken to it pretty quickly, loving the feel of the machine under my hands, even if my vision was hampered by the annoying goggles. But most of the freshman and sophomores were still trying to decide the differences between two types of wood; I guess I shouldn't be rolling my eyes at them like I was, considering I had done the exact same thing last year.

   Snagging my coffee cup from the table before heading over to the goggle station, I took a swig. I didn't spat out the almost sickly sweet liquid, even if it tasted as if it had lived in a freezer for a week, the tang still helped my vision focus a bit more, the caffeine having an almost instant affect on my sleep deprived body. It was weird how sometimes you just depended on something so much, just to stay alive.

  Well that would be a little too melodramatic, but whatever.

  I strapped on the goggles; they had a knack for making anyone who wore them look like a geek. But as I glanced back at Tristan, it had become a second nature just to glance at him every five minutes despite if I wanted to or not, and I wasn't surprised to see him pulling off the look flawlessly. Gritting my teeth together, I took another drink of coffee, set it down, and started the noisy sawing machine.

  Sawdust was flying, as I carefully cut away on the lines that I had measured over and over again, to have it meet the specifications that I had designed on my blue-print. The middle of October and we were already on our projects, the design process had gone relatively smooth this year.

  The entertainment center would be a dark stained, television stand, and would support all the systems that went along with it. My mind wondered and placed extra shelving, the depths of my imagination picturing picture frames poised in the nooks. Each holding a picture of my family in the future, kids would be running around the television set, splaying into fits of giggles. I hadn't known what had come over me, the thought of motherhood was something I never had considered, I planned on going to College for Graphic Arts and design, which I was a class that I was taking second hour, kids and marriage just seemed like too far into the future to delve into.