Chapter 38

Harry's POV

Waking up this morning was fucking terrible.

My eyes were swollen and dry, my throat was aching, still a little raw from last night, and my skin was tight on my face from all of the fucking tears I had shed.

The only positive about waking up this morning was the fact that I woke up next to Ophelia.

I woke up before her and realized that I was basically fucking suffocating her. Our chests were pressed together and our legs were intertwined, exactly the way I remember us being last night. I don't even remember falling asleep, the last thing I remember was us moving under the comforter and Lia's hands running through my hair.

I slowly rolled off of her when I awoke a little bit ago, and now I've just been laying on my side, watching her chest move as she breathes and her nose twitch as she dreams. Her lips are parted, hair astray on the pillow, and she seems so peaceful. She looks so fucking pretty as the morning sun barely shines in through her window, from between the cracks in her curtains.

I could watch her for hours.

My eyes do a double-take at the window when I don't see my little fucker sitting there. It catches me off guard and I momentarily forget that I'm not in my apartment, like I'm so used to us being at.

I rest my hand on her bare stomach, lightly tracing my finger along her skin and watching her unconsciously shiver at the feeling. I know it has to be unreasonably early, given the way the sun is only just beginning to rise. I want her to sleep longer, she deserves it after what the fuck I put her through last night.

What the fuck even happened?

I can't fucking believe Zayn is one of Wendy's patients. I was already fucking spooked by her mentioning that she had a car accident patient, but finding out that it was my best friend was the icing on the fucking cake.

I hate this small fucking world.

I mean, thinking about it now, it makes perfect sense as to why it would be Zayn. We're back in my home city, so I was bound to have some sort of interaction with people I knew here, except this was the last thing I was expecting.

As soon as she mentioned Zayn's name, I froze. At first I was sure I heard her wrong. It surely couldn't be my Zayn. I had to confirm it by mentioning his full name and the answer was everything I wasn't hoping for.

And it just went downhill from there.

The only thing I could think of doing at that moment was to run into the bedroom and lock myself there. Given any other circumstance, I probably would have grabbed any alcohol sitting in my house and tried to drown out the pain.

A very bad habit of mine.

I'm so used to being alone when I get like this, so seeing Lia brought out the hostility in my attitude that I'd been working so hard to keep away. I didn't mean to get like that, it just came out as soon as I saw her enter the room.

She was so good to me during it all. Comforting me, helping me.....just being there with me because even though I told her I didn't want her there, she knew that I needed her there.

The way she held me and listened to my cries of anguish, I've never felt that kind of comfort from anyone before. I just know that if there's anyone I would have wanted to go through that with, it's her.

It's always her.

At least Lia knows everything now, about Zayn, about Ava, about my parents......she knows the full truth. It felt really fucking good to just let it all out last night, no matter how fucking pathetic I looked.