Chapter 14

"Vash?" he heard a familiar voice calling out to him so he fluttered his eyes open and awakened from his slumber. "...what..?" He asked still sleepy as he sat up a bit confused. He had fallen asleep? "Dinner's ready!" she spoke to him in her cheery way. She was glad her brother finally had some rest and she glanced at the laptop and notes next to him.

The Swiss didn't notice as he scratched his head a bit confused. Had he fallen asleep while working? Was it a dream? Still a bit lost in thought he didn't pay any attention to Lilly reading the sticky notes on his laptop and also didn't see how she gently smiled. "I really didn't like to wake you but I know you'd feel bad if I had to reheat the food that's why...." She told her brother with an apologetic smile on her face and finally Vash seemed to have completely woken up, sobered up from his sleep-drunken demeanor. Vash nodded at her and stood up in one go still feeling his muscles ache a bit. Come to think of it, if he fell asleep while working how come he had been this neatly tucked in? A thought ran through his mind which made his cheeks turn a pale color of red and he quickly dismissed that thought again. There was no way Roderich had....no no! He walked down with Lilly to the dining room and saw the brunette man serving Hubert some food onto his plate with a gentle smile. Of course Vash expected that look to disappear as soon as he'd lay eyes upon him but quite unlike he thought, the violet eyes curved up a bit, the smile seemingly grow even warmer. Vash caught himself gulp in surprise before he directed his gaze elsewhere and sat down.

"You really needed it." he then suddenly heard the other man across him speak as he took his plate and served him some food on it as well in a motion that made it look like this was completely normal to him. "Need what..?" Vash then carefully asked to test the water, not wanting to embarrass himself if he let his mouth run and exposed that he had thought Roderich would be this extraordinarily nice to him.

A bit surprised Roderich looked at Vash and at seeing how he didn't remember, decided not to ponder on it any longer. "Dinner. You've been looking at the food like a hungry tiger." Roderich then answered, the gentle smile remaining on his face. He cut the cooked meat into pieces now and blew on a piece on his fork for a second before he took it into his mouth. He knew better than to irritate Vash with something he could just quietly enjoy by himself. After all the Swiss' sleeping face truly was a blessing, he somehow wished he could see it again some time but there most likely wouldn't be such instance again.

Vash raised a brow a bit confused feeling like this hadn't been quite the truth but to spare himself from further thought he accepted the answer and began to eat as well. The atmosphere in the room finally had gotten better and from far away maybe one could think that this was family with Roderich eating looking gently at all the other participants, Lilly and Hubert having a witty conversation and Vash just eating calmly at the table sometimes meeting glances with Roderich and looking away. This had been the first night that had gone by smoothly and Vash felt somewhat comfortable even going as far as to allow himself to enjoy the warm feeling in his heart. Soon enough once dinner was finished he soundlessly stood up and even went to bring the plates to the kitchen.

"I'll help you" Roderich immediately spoke and stood up but Vash shooed him away. "Just play something with the kids." he replied and turned back to the sink to work a bit. It really was uncharacteristic for him, Vash knew but Lilly couldn't be the only one working in this house despite her being actually related. He was just somewhat of a freeloader there was no way he could just sit still and do nothing. Roderich accepted his answer with a sigh but couldn't help but to smile. His plan seemed to have worked out! Vash wasn't hostile towards him anymore and even seemed somewhat satisfied, just how he liked it. Being quite happy he joined the kids in the living room and opted for a round of Uno which was greatly appreciated by both Lilly and Hubert.

By the end of the night all four of them played Uno together and Vash sat quite close next to Roderich not having noticed himself. It just so happened that Roderich sat closer to the stack that's all. He didn't feel comfortable around him one bit! For sure...