Chapter 8

When they were young, many years ago— it was a sunny and warm summer day— Vash could be seen running down the hills from his house which stood at the end of a street farther away from other houses though. The grass stood high and was completely green, the sheep would probably soon eat them, and ladybugs could be seen flying all around the air. Once on the street below the piece of green he turned right and sprinted further down into the city, almost running over an old woman with her basket of fresh laundry who shook her head at the boy. He had been running downhill for a while now and finally stopped when the houses grew bigger and more glamorous with each he passed. That street was known for having the prettiest houses and the most beautiful gardens. Many of those gardens had the most exotic plants and sometimes even a glasshouse where they could grow fruits and vegetables even in the winter! He was walking a while until he finally arrived at his destination, the third house on the left, a big cream colored exterior, fancy and neat iron fence with pretty designs and many windows. Vash had never counted them but he believed he could see at least forty windows, behind each peaking the gentle dark green color of the curtains through. Roderich had been sitting at his window doing schoolwork and listening to music when he glanced on the street and a tiny smile made its way onto his face. He could see how Vash tried to calm down so that it wasn't noticeable that he had ran there as he slapped his own cheeks a bit in hopes they would loose their blush. Roderich couldn't help but to chuckle at that and he left his desk quickly. Soon enough the doorbell rang and he made his way downstairs, past his mother who asked who it was that wanted to see him on the weekend.

"The new kid at our school that I've been helping out, mother!" He replied to her as he opened the door and stepped outside. "Well you sure were fast." Vash said and received a gentle smile in return. "Come on now, don't act like I'm the only one who is happy to meet up." He told him and the Swiss huffed although he felt his heart skip a beat at that gentle smile. They walked off of his property and headed for the center of the city. There wasn't much to do there specifically but they'd just find an activity like always. It had been two years since Vash first came there and could barely read and now with the help of Roderich non of that was noticeable anymore. The Swiss still got made fun of because of his strong accent but most of his classmates really appreciated him in subjects like French or Italian. He could speak both— French better than Italian— but still quite impressive for a nine year old. Soon on the plaza in front of the cathedral where many different shops were, tailors, candy shops, toy shops, shoes, everything ones heart could want. They sat at the edge of the big fountain and looked around feeling the cold breeze as it brushed through their hair.

Roderich had always admired the others blonde locks and vibrant green eyes. In the summer the hair would shimmer golden when the light touched it and those eyes let a golden touch flash as well. He didn't know if what he felt was exactly envy or just appreciation. He was happy with how he looked and he was told from early on that he'd grow up to be a fine man so he never worried. "Roderich?" Vash asked and the brunette snapped out of it looking away. "yeah?" He asked feeling a bit stupid to have stared for so long. The blonde sighed and leaned back looking at the sky. "I'm bored."

"Me too.... Wanna go catch some butterflies in the old woman's field?" Roderich asked as he had recently been introduced to such activity by Vash. His parents didnt really like it when he played around outside and got home with dirty or torn clothes but he didnt care much. Hanging out with Vash was worth it. The Swiss nodded and jumped up from the fountain ready to go.

They had many days like these. Days with a lot of fun and days where they frustrated each other, but usually they always made up a few days later. Well usually. One day though Roderich suddenly didn't wait by the school gate anymore to walk home together, didn't come outside to play anymore and didn't watch outside of the window no more. The Swiss didn't understand, he could not. Immediately he thought Roderich had abandoned him and he got angry. Not knowing any better with his anger he began to write letters filled with misunderstandings at first but they soon turned into hateful ones. Saying how much he hated Roderich, that he wished he'd never see Roderich again, he never even liked Roderich to begin with and things way worse. At some point the letters stopped since he never got an answer. But oh no the letters were received, not read yet but received.

Why did Roderich disappear though? Well he had always been weak and unfortunately the boy had gotten a bad lung infection. He had been hospitalized, at some point his parents even thought he'd die. But after 4 weeks he recovered and got handed the stack of letters he got sent in his absence. Upon reading them he felt incredibly bad. He was hurt that Vash said these things, not yet understanding the misinterpretation that happened. He didn't go to Vash's place for a while being too intimidated to do so.

Well that didnt even matter that much anyway as the small house on top of the hill was empty. One week before Vash's mother finally found better work in her home country again and thus moved as soon as possible with her son. They didnt have many things so it was fast.

Vash was sobbing and just didnt stop to shake. He usually wasn't a crybaby! Not at all! But in front of Roderich he just felt like he wouldn't even be able to lie to his emotions. He felt the other caress his hair gently as he got pressed tightly against him.  "I'm sorry... Vash...im sorry...." the Austrian mumbled over and over and without noticing it himself really he pressed his lips on the others forehead. After about five minutes having been embraced like that he slowly calmed down and stopped sobbing just enjoying the gentle touch a little. Vash liked it. He liked those hands, quite a bit bigger than his own but way more delicate. He liked being pressed against the others chest and he loved the soft wafting smell of his cologne.

"Are you better now?" Roderich asked and looked down at the other letting go of him for a bit. "...You cant just suddenly spout such nonsense as to take me with you... I wouldn't have a job in your country not even citizenship. I-" he got interrupted by the loud sigh of the other.

"Look, Vash.... I dont know how to explain this to you but I really dont mind you living at my home without a job. Look at you, you're completely exhausted by your work, have no fun at all next to your job. If you hate it at my place you can always go back. Ugh... I...don't know..." his cheeks flushed a bit red and he hugged the other a bit tighter again. "We've got a lot to catch up on, Vash." He told him and this time actually cracked a smile as he looked at the other in his arms. "You don't want to part with Lilly anyway don't you?" He asked and noticed how nice it was to have those green orbs stare up at him, that muscular but a bit more delicate frame in his arms and most of all...how good it felt to comfort the other. He really had missed him.