final (chapter 18)

"Where the hell did that imbecile run off to now?! Why must he constantly pull these stunts.... I heard the door he must've come home!" Roderich cursed upon not getting an answer to his call and he ran a hand through his hair frustratedly, his face a bit pale. Even if he was mad that Vash again behaved like a child, he was still more worried than anything else, what if he had overheard them? As hot-tempered as the Swiss was running away after such a thing seemed quite logical.... Lilly who was old enough to count two and two together stood next to him with a worried expression on her face, holding the hems of her dress tightly. She really tried hard not to cry because she was just so scared Vash could've heard her..what if he hated her now? What if he left the house and tried to fend for himself just because of her? He'd be all alone wouldn't he? "....shhh... Don't be sad, its not your fault. Vash is just a bit...sensitive..." Roderich sighed as he tried to calm her down upon noticing her attempts of suppressing a sniffle. He gently ruffled her hair and motioned for upstairs instead. "Look, I'll go search for him and you play a bit with Hubert, okay? I'll be right back with Vash, don't worry. He'll come back, don't worry..." the man added in his gentle tone, a tone only a father would use.

"B-...But what if he doesn't? What if he doesn't w-....." Lilly asked and trembled as she clenched her eyes closed but then finally couldn't hold it in any longer. "W-What if he never comes home again..? W-What if he hates me now...?" The young girl asked distressed and looked up at the Austrian with her green eyes full of sorrow and regret. She sobbed hard and got red in her face out of shame for crying...even though Roderich stayed this strong but she was soon pulled into a tight hug by Roderich and her face was pressed into his chest. "I'll find him. Trust me. He couldn't have gotten far by foot... I'm sure he won't be mad at you let's just explain it all to him later, alright? It's not over, Lilly...shhh...calm down, it's okay...." the brunette whispered and gently caressed her back wanting to support her as best as possible. Very softly he touched her hair again and caressed there as well for quite a bit until the sobs and sniffling in his chest finally quieted down. "T-Tell him I'm sorry...." she then managed to push out between her lips in a high voice i but was silenced by having her face pressed into the Austrian's chest again. "You can tell him that yourself. I'm bringing him back."

With these words Roderich ruffled her hair again, gave her a reassuring smile and then stood up straight to turn around and grab his stuff. As soon as the girl couldn't see his face, his confident expression faded and he gulped giving his phone another glance. At first when he noticed Vash had left he had just thought he was going to take a breather, possibly sit in front of the porch again but when he couldn't find him anywhere on his property he had indeed gotten nervous. His only luck was that he knew Vash couldn't have taken the bus due to them only driving there once an hour so it made things easier. With a shaky sigh the pale man sat in the car and turned the engine on, the lights shining bright into the darkness. He drove away from his porch and then took his phone out again to dial that stupid idiot's number but once again no one picked up so he could only place it back into his pocket where he got it from. Complete silence was in the car, the only thing he could hear was the faint sound of the tires rolling over the asphalt and the sound of the rain hitting his widows. Tirelessly the violet eyes glances around the sideways trying to find a familiar figure, trying to find someone but no matter how many times he looked he still couldn't find the Swiss, no sign of the blonde man. He drove the same road up and down twice for a while, his eyebrows frowning together in worry. "There's no way he made it further this fast! Theres no way... Or did this maniac trail into the forest?!" He hissed to himself and gripped his hands around the steering wheel hard, his heart sinking. It was so stormy...if Vash really did go into the forest who knows what could've happened to him?!

This whole situation was playing with the Austrian's nerves... Everything had been going so well, everything had been perfect why all of this now?! If they would just talk things out...if he could just manage to be honest and clear with Vash then he would've told him earlier about his opinion on him working like that. He would've told him that he sees how hard he's working but he truly doesn't deserve how done he looks every time he comes home. He would've told him that he's really grateful for him taking care of Lilly, that he really wanted for him to go to university and get a degree so that he could work in conditions suited for him... He really just wanted to tell him that he loved him and wanted to find a healthy way for all of them to cohabit together. "....damn..." Roderich sighed as finally even he started to give up and his eyes watered slightly, his gaze barely on the street at this point. What would he give to be able to kiss Vash like they did in the living room? To hug him, to caress his back and to kiss his forehead always covered in a frown. He'd give really anything...