Chapter 4

Around 2 pm a loud thud could be heard in the Swiss' house, resonating through the hallways and shaking the walls. Lilly who had been drawing flinched and looked up confused. There weren't usually earthquakes happening so what was that? She stood up and went to the door before opening it to look outside. "Big Brother? What happened?" She asked loudly and when she got no answer repeated herself. Still no answer. A bit worried now she hurried down the stairs and went to Vash's office. Maybe he had hurt himself? "Big Brother?" She called out again and then knocked at the door. It took a moment but it cracked open and showed a frustrated and worn out face she knew well.

"Sorry, Lilly, I didn't mean to scare you. Something fell down." The Swiss said as he looked at her and let out a sigh. Then he froze and turned around to look at the clock in his office. "Two o'clock already...?!" He said in disbelief and then looked back at his sister. "I didn't watch the time.... I'll make lunch for you in a minute, alright? Just....let me finish something quickly. The girl nodded but her eyes dodged her brother when he went back inside of the room and stopped at the sight of papers and documents lying on the floor. She frowned a bit and took another step only to finally understand what had caused that huge noise. The shelf in which Vash usually stored his notes and documents in was lying on the floor but she didn't know why. It couldn't have fallen down by itself could it....? She was about to take a closer look but Vash hurried to the door and blocked her view while blowing a strand of hair out of his face.

"What would you like to eat?" He asked and stepped out of his room as he closed the door without letting her see any more. He didn't want her to know that he had lost his temper in there and reacted in such an....untypical manner. All the stress he had to put up with his boss and the company didn't exactly let him sleep well. He could loose his job at any day. At least that's how the situation looked like at the moment. The girl didn't know what to respond and just shrugged with her shoulders as she eyed her brother.

"I can...cook myself if it helps you finish work sooner.." She offered and gave him her typical smile but Vash only shook his head as he insisted he'd cook for her. "I don't want you to burn the whole kitchen down." He told her with a sigh although the real reason was he just liked to cook for her since she usually enjoyed his food which not many did. They both made their way to the kitchen where Lilly sat down at the table and watched her brother. After staring at the man's back for a while she let out an inaudible sigh and stared outside of the window. It wasn't snowing anymore and instead the sun shone and some birds sat on the branches of their apple tree. They didn't talk with each other and Lilly was silent. It happened a lot that she'd just sit there on the bench next to the window, curtains pushed aside. Mostly the reason for this was because they just didn't have something to talk about and it was peaceful enough, no conversation needed but sometimes like that day, the girl felt slightly troubled and wanted to open up about her problems but Vash just sometimes didn't seem to listen to her. She understood that he had his own problems and wouldn't talk about them but she just wished they could be there for each other in those situations.

Not paying attention to Lilly's melancholic gaze outside, was Vash's fourth mistake.

// It was a pretty short chapter I know but I'm trying to upload the 5th one very soon! Sorry for not having updated so long, in all honesty I'm having some troubles at home myself and find it difficult to write in the moment.... I hope you understand, have a nice day!