Chapter 17

The bliss of finally having found work had made the atmosphere at home a lot more comfortable for Lilly and she loved how her life, which seemed to have shattered only a few days ago, come finally back together. Her new music teacher was really a gentle woman and by the end of the week she had already managed to play happy birthday on it! Her private tutor on the other hand really wasn't this nice, he was a cold and stoic man and always seemed to get a bit annoyed when she didn't know the answer to a specific question. Of course knowing that he had graduated from one of the best universities all the way over in america, she didn't dare complain to Roderich. As long as he didn't give her as much homework as Hubert seemed to have she was completely good with how her situation had turned out. She still wondered how it was possible that Hubert despite being six years younger had more homework to do than her but somewhere she guessed that the poor boy had more than just one tutor being Roderich's adopted son.

It was around noon when she came home from the music school once again and she sighed when she did not smell anything delicious coming from the kitchen like the past week through. She knew she had been spoiled by Vash's cooking the whole time but it also scared her a bit to see how fast the time had passed. When one had fun the time really went by flying. This had been Vash's second day now in his new workplace and although he had assured her and Roderich that it had been fun, his worn out expression scared her. Before already her brother had worked extra hours a day and what not until the point of getting sick so she really didn't want this to repeat itself. On the other hand she wondered if that was really the reason Vash looked like that or if there was something else all along.

Setting her bag aside she slipped out of her shoes and hung up her coat before stretching herself and dragging herself to the kitchen. She was already looking through a book for some recipes but stopped since when she had opened the fridge to check what she could even make, she saw a plate with sandwiches on it and a note reading "For Lilly & Hubert, -Roderich". She smiled to herself and took the plate out to pick out one of the colorful sandwiches she liked and then picked one out for Hubert as well. She checked the time again on the kitchen clock before assuring that Hubert's private tutor must've left so she peaked into the hallway and looked up the staircase. "Food's ready, Hubert! There's one with tuna and if you don't stop sketching now I'll eat it...!!" She yelled and waited for a second before she heard rumbling and pencils falling to the floor followed by hurried foot steps down the stairs. "It's mine, don't...!" The boy yelled once he saw her and Lilly chuckled before disappearing behind the wall again and hurrying to the dinner table. "No...! Don't!" He kept yelling after her and got a bit worked up so when he was at the dinner table as well he grabbed it fiercely and stuffed a corner of it into his mouth, frowning at the blonde girl.

"I knew you were drawing! I wouldn't have to resort to these strategies if you just came down for food when called." Lilly said with a light smile on her lips before biting off of the sandwich as well. After a moment of them eating like that and Hubert having calmed down she gulped her food down and turned to look at the younger boy. "Dad's not home?" she asked not having heard any foot steps till now nor had there been enough sandwiches for him. Hubert shook his head and took another bite. Now that Roderich wasn't there to monitor his manners he could speak while eating as well. "He's with Miss Weiss." He replied and Lilly lifted a brow never having heard that name before. "His girlfriend? I didn't know he had one..." She asked but again received a headshake from Hubert. "His editor. They're discussing his next book at some café probably." He elaborated and then finally finished with the food feeling quite stuffed now.

Hearing that Lilly was a bit relieved. Even if she wasn't entirely sure of Vash's relationship with Roderich, she guessed that he most likely wouldn't have been too pleased to find out that he had had a girlfriend all along. "Miss Weiss is so nice though....I wish she could be my mommy..." Hubert mumbled and looked a bit sad. It wasn't only because she was nice, the woman also severely looked like his own dead mom who he missed dearly and every time he saw her he had a hard time from parting with her. That had actually been the main reason why Roderich now didn't invite her to his home anymore for discussions and instead opted for café and lounges. Seeing how inexplicably Hubert had dropped his carefree face and instead seemed a bit sad, Lilly put aside her second sandwich and stood up. She knew better than to ask why he was making that face and thus instead walked over to him to grab his hand. "Well if dad's not around, then wanna go upstairs and play? I can braid your hair too!" She offered and received a bitter nod from the smaller boy before he slid down from the chair and abandoned the rest of the sandwiches on the table.