Chapter 1

"So what do you want to eat tonight?" Vash asked the younger girl as she was staring upon all the different fruits in the store. She hadn't even heard the Swiss talking to her since she was already dreaming about the taste of those strawberries in her mouth. She hadn't seen any strawberries since summer so she really wanted to taste some again. "Lilly?" Vash repeated and approached her, throwing her out of her trance.

"U-Uhm.... Well uh...." she stuttered not knowing what in the world the male wanted from her.

"Do you want the strawberries?" Vash then asked as he sighed. "I'm not a fan of it because they're flown here from Spain....but I guess I can make an exception today...." he mumbled and Lilly lit up with joy before grabbing the package of strawberries and putting them inside the kart. "What would you like to eat for dinner, Lilly?" Vash asked once again before he looked around and noticed that his sister wasn't behind him anymore. He wrinkled his face and looked around confused. "Where-"

His heart almost stopped when he saw that one person talking to Lilly. Blood pressure rose and he gritted his teeth before walking over to them. He knew better than to interrupt the conversation between a father and a daughter who haven't seen each other for a while but he couldn't help but send glares to the tall Austrian.

"Oh. Hello, Vash." Roderich said as he noticed the short tempered male. He didn't look into his eyes and instead continued his little chat with the girl in front of him who was smiling brightly.

"Mhm! I've been doing great!" She told the other, her eyes sparkling with joy, way more than they did with the strawberries. The tall brunette smiled back and patted her had gently before ruffling her hair. "I'm still not quite happy about you having cut your hair....such a pity..." The musician told her in a soft tone but smiled warmly. It was quiet now and the conversation seemed to have ended but those two were still staring at each other lovingly with the Swiss standing only two meters besides them.

He wasn't pleased. No, Vash wasn't pleased at all. He didn't like seeing his sister talking to that man who abandoned her. But Lilly was so happy.... He couldn't interfere. Even if thinking back to it, he probably should've stopped it as long as he could.

"Would you like to eat dinner with me?" Roderich asked and Lilly was about to agree but came to a halt and turned around to look at her brother. "But....what about..."

"He's invited too.-"

"No thanks."

"You really don't want my daughter to dine with me? You should tag along then." The Austrian insisted and gave the shorter male an intense glare. If Vash would've been alone with that man he'd probably have started to yell at him but he held back and gritted his teeth. "....Fine."

        ~Some Time Later~

Unlike the Swiss had thought the dinner wasn't quiet at all. No, instead Lilly and that man had an intense conversation about various different things like how she was doing in school or what her favorite hobbies were. All in all Vash was bored and silently shoved that fancy food in his mouth listening to those two voices. He wasn't even paying attention anymore and thought about what ingredients he chef must've used to create that fresh dressing for the salad. Maybe he could make it himself. The restaurant in which they were sitting in was rather full and just by looking at the people, Vash knew only rich idiots came to eat there. But it wasn't a big surprise. After all he had been invited.

"And you? How have you been?" Roderich finally asked turning his head slightly to look at Vash who still had to swallow his food. "Don't ask. We both know you don't care." The Swiss hissed and just grabbed his wineglass before taking a big gulp from it. Roderich frowned and huffed.

"I see your brother is as uncivilized as always, Lilly. How about we eat together next week again? Maybe without him." The Austrian proposed smiling warmly. The girl hesitated for a moment. She didn't feel quite alright with the fact that her brother would eat alone that night and she knew he didn't have a lot of trust in the Austrian. On the other hand Roderich was her father and she hadn't seen him for some time now. She truly missed him since even if she loved Vash, he could never replace her father.

She didn't dare to say it out loud-her thoughts- but she wasn't the only person who knew that very well. Vash himself knew that he had no chance to win against him. He had always known Lilly would always stick closer to Roderich than him but he didn't want to believe it. Something deep inside him kept telling him that he was good enough. That string of hope connected with the warm smile of the blonde girl.

"Alright. But you bring her back home safely and not after 9pm, Roderich." Vash stated not only surprising Lilly but the Austrian as well. Vash knew Lilly the best. He knew she wanted to see her father real badly but wouldn't dare to, to not leave him alone. He knew it all and he couldn't say no.

That was the first mistake.