Chapter 2: Crisis Averted?

"I got you coffee."

Detective L/n placed the coffee into the man's hand. He swirled it around the cup, and the liquid rocked against the sides, almost tipping out.

"It's 11PM, do you think I need coffee?"

Y/n sat down on the edge of his desk, letting it creak gently to support her weight. "Well, you've been typing on that computer for nearly..." she glanced at the clock, "5 hours now, and you don't look like you're going to stop anytime soon."

"Yeah," he chuckled, "thanks I guess."

There was silence in the office when neither of them were talking. Almost everyone had gone home except for the cleaner who was on the floor above.

"So...what happened up there?" Y/n's voice was soft and gentle.

"Don't ask." He groaned, rubbing his face with his hands. "I don't want to remember it anymore."

"Don't you wanna talk to me, maybe even a little?" She laughed, paraphrasing his words from earlier.

He scoffed. "No, go now, please." He prodded her hip with his fingertips and she squirmed off the desk.

"Hey, but seriously though," she caught his attention, he looked up from his screen, "don't just stay quiet about it. If it's bothering you, talk to someone."

He huffed. "It's not bothering me, but thanks."

"Okay. Well, goodnight."

"Night." He smiled gently.

Y/n walked out of the door, carrying her handbag and coat with her out of the building.

Sunwoo sighed, sighing to himself. His fingers tingled, remembering the sensation of the woman's dress. She still felt so alive in his mind. Her dress, her skin - although pale and malnourished - her eyes, but she had already been pronounced dead upon arrival to the scene....a whole five hours ago.

"Fuck..." he huffed, leaning back into his chair and swivveling from side to side. His eyes traced the edges of the ceiling tiles, trying to distract his mind. He could still hear her voice inside his head, and it disturbed him deeply.

"Shut up, shut up..." he whispered, as if able to hear her talking back to him.

'You could've caught me if you were quicker'

'Maybe you shouldn't have creeped up on me like that'

'You should've listened to your colleague - she knew better'

He squeezed his eyes shut.

'Pathetic'

'You can't even handle the sight of someone falling and dying, you're weak if you can't even handle that-'

"Shut up!" He shouted, slamming his fist on the table. He could barely keep his thoughts inside his head without them spilling out into his actions.

He huffed, grabbing his coat, and stood up from his chair.

Sunwoo froze instantly. Detective L/n stared at him directly, unnerved, but ultimately concerned for her partner.

"I...just left my lunchbox...sorry."

"Yeah...yeah." He sucked air through his teeth, growing hot under the collar.

"Are...you okay, though?"

"Yeah," he gulped, "fine. Yeah. I was just..." he cleared his throat. "I'm going home too, I can walk you to your car, actually."

"Oh, no, I'll be fine-"

"No, it's fine. It's not far from where I parked." He smiled awkwardly, grabbing his keys and phone from his desk.

The pair walked in silence to Y/n's car, where Sunwoo stopped by the driver's side.

"So, Ill see you tomorrow?"

"Yeah, of course."

Y/n put her stuff in the passenger seat, still irked by what she walked in on. "But, you're really sure that you're fine-"

"I'm fine!" He smiled. "I'm probably just a little tired, but I'm fine."

"Oh..." she nodded. "Well, you should have a good night's sleep."

"Yeah, you too." He nodded. "Well, bye." He waved quickly, turning on his heel.

"Bye." She shut the car door, sitting there for a moment in silence.

'That was awkward...'

'Well, that was awkward...'

___________________________________________________

A/n: ey this is where shit starts to kick offfff I'm so excited. 😊🥰
___________________________________________________