Chapter 18: Confessions of a Criminal

The second interrogation was due to be held at just after 4PM. After the first round of questions, something interesting was heard on the CCTV from the interrogation room.

"We got it!" Sunwoo grinned.

"What? What happened?"

"He confessed to his sister."

"Seriously?" She gasped.

"Yeah. We got a full confession when we left the room."

"Oh my God, that's incredible."

"I know!" He chuckled. "Wow...I can't wait to see him rot in prison."

"Me neither." She smiled. "But hey, seeing as this case has gone pretty well, do you want to celebrate it with me?"

"Sure." He nodded. "Your place?"

"It's always my place, why can't we go to yours?"

He sighed. "Fine. My place. At least I have beer at my place."

She scoffed.

...

...

...

Y/n knocked lightly on the door. There were footsteps from inside, and the door opened softly.

"Detective?"

"Can I come in?"

The woman placed a tea on the table in front of the Detective. She looked healthier now, a little bit more colour in her face.

"I'm sure you've heard, but, we got a full confession earlier today."

She beamed. "I did! I was so happy when I heard the news."

"I actually came over because I wanted to give you something."

She placed the bag on the table.

The woman took it curiously, peering inside it.

"I wrapped it up the best I could, but since our work is basically over, I thought you might've wanted it."

She pulled out the pink cardigan, a smile peeking onto her face. "Thank you so much."

"Of course." She smiled.

...

...

...

"You're up here again?" Y/n walked out onto the roof. Sunwoo was sat on the floor, his arms resting on his knees.

"I have to tell you something."

She chuckled. "What secret could you possibly be hiding?" She sat down with a sigh.

He sighed. "You have to promise me you won't tell anyone."

"Okay, I promise." She laughed.

"I mean it, I'm not kidding."

He was serious.

"Yeah...okay. I promise."

He sighed. "Do you...remember the woman who fell off the roof?"

"Of course." She smiled bitterly.

"...And I told you she had a daughter that she gave up."

"Right...?"

"Well...I found her daughter and her adoptive family."

She listened ardently.

"The mother was a stay-at home carer for her daughter and the father sold meat at a butcher's. So...they weren't exactly...rich or anything."

"Yeah...?"

"I wanted to give them some money- just a little, to help them out."

"Sure. That's a nice thing to do." She smiled.

"But...I'm also...not exactly rich." He chuckled.

"So..."

"So...?"

"I..." he huffed, "every month, we get funding from the government, which gets looked after by a few guys at the bureau."

"Sunwoo...I don't like where this is going."

"I know one of the guys there...and I asked him to let me borrow a couple hundred for new office supplies at the station."

"No, Sunwoo!"

"...And I've been forging receipts for office supplies like paper and shelves-"

"No."

"-and wiring the money anonymously to their current address."

"No! No, no...you can't do that, Sunwoo!"

"I know! I know I can't. That's why I told you about it."

"No! This is criminal, Sunwoo! You can get into serious trouble for this!"

"I know! I fucked up, I'm aware! I thought maybe you could help me."

"What the fuck?! I'm not helping you! I'm not risking my job for you, Sunwoo!" She stood up.

He followed, jumping to his feet. "I'm stuck, Y/n. I'm being blackmailed!"

"What?!" She gasped. "I-...I can't even believe this right now. No- I don't want to believe this right now."

"You said I could talk to you about anything!"

"Not this! You're a criminal now, Sunwoo. You're a fraud, you're embezzling money from our government fundings and you expect me to help you out of this?! No!"

"Detective Shin's blackmailing me-"

"Shut up."

"If I don't have sex with her, she'll tell her father about what I'm doing and I'll get send to prison even quicker-"

"Shut up, Sunwoo! I don't want to hear this! Don't involve me in your reckless behaviour! You got yourself into this mess, you can get yourself out of it."

"I can't, I've been trying to but-"

"Don't talk to me again!" She huffed. "I don't want to hear it from you. You're fucking insane!"

"Y/n-"

"It's Detective L/n, to you. I'm- I'm done associating with you, Detective Kim."

Sunwoo sighed, watching her slam the roof door behind her. "Shit..."