Chapter 21: Promise

"Detective L/n. My office, please."

Y/n closed the door behind her and took a seat. "Yes, Chief?"

"You've been quite distracted today. I asked for 10 copies of these documents and you only gave me 8."

"I'm sorry."

"Is there something troubling you?"

She suddenly thought back to the passionate kiss Sunwoo and her shared, and her mind began to race. "Uh...no. I'm fine."

"Alright. And..." she sat down. "As your mother, now, is there something troubling you?"

She gulped. "No." She grinned. "No, I'm alright."

"Did you fight with someone?"

"I can assure you...I'm fine." She warned.

The Chief sighed. "Okay. I'll believe you for now. I guess you just don't want to talk about it."

Y/n scoffed lightly. "Yeah...I guess not."

"That was all. Get me two more of those copies, and then you can go home for the day."

"Wait, really?"

"Yes. You've worked hard these past few weeks."

She smiled proudly. "Thank you very much."

"Of course."

...

...

...

"Hey, pass me a sugar."

"Oh, sure." She slid it across the counter. Sunwoo glanced at her profile, slowly moving his mug across the counter to stand closer to her.

She chuckled, a little embarrassed. "What was that for?"

He shrugged. "-Think you should know that your lips look a little red today." He emptied the sugar packet into his coffee.

She laughed, definitely not flustered. She looked to the nearest reflective surface, touching her lips softly. They were bruised and sore.

"I'm still waiting to have a serious conversation about what the hell that all meant." She scoffed.

He blinked quickly, feeling anxious. "Did it have to mean something?"

"Did it not mean something?" She squinted at him.

He pushed a hand into his pocket. "What if it was just a kiss? You know, just...a kiss."

She laughed, a little taken aback. "Just a kiss...what, so, that was just...what, an experiment or something?"

He grimaced. "I- no. No. You're getting the wrong idea now."

"Well did you mean it or not? Do you have feelings for me, Kim Sunwoo?"

He gulped. "I don't want to answer that right now." He stepped forwards, staring slightly down at her. His eyes were intense, like he was mad about something.

"Fine." She grabbed her mug and walked out.

...

...

...

Sunwoo was busy putting away files into their places from the previous cases.

"You look a lot happier today."

Sunwoo jumped a little, cursing under his breath. "What do you want, Jiyoon?"

"I saw you yesterday night at that box again. You put...what...$100 in?"

His jaw clenched. "Yeah? So?" He turned around, placing the last of the papers into a shallow box.

"I'm just saying, if you want to keep this a secret, you're going to have to do as I say." She sneered, folding her arms.

"I don't want to. Not for this week, at least."

"Why? Prior commitments?" She chuckled.

He sighed. "I will, okay? Just not right now."

"Tonight?"

"No."

"Then when? A woman can't wait to be loved, Sunwoo."

"Later. Okay? I promise."

"Oh, you promise?" The corner of her lip curled up. "Do you pinky promise?" She held out her little finger.

"Yeah, whatever." They crossed pinkies.

"I'll call you later, then."

Sunwoo said nothing in return as he left.