Chapter 7: Drunk Dinner

That evening was the company dinner. Around 20 people were going, and they had booked an entire table in a busy bar so that they could fill themselves on ramen and chicken - but mostly alcohol - for the night.

"Hey." Y/n felt a nudge in her side, and she looked to see Sunwoo. "How was your day?"

"Good." She pressed the button for the traffic lights, waiting in her own silence that she made.

"Aren't you going to ask how my day was?"

"I would, if everyone hadn't been talking about it for hours. How's the new girl?"

"You mean Jiyoon?"

"Yeah, her."

"She's good."

Y/n scoffed. "Good at her job, or..."

The traffic lights bleeped, and the cars came to a stop. Y/n began to walk, and Sunwoo just followed like a lost puppy.

"Well, she's a good person. She's nice, I like her."

"Yeah, I bet." She smiled. "She seems sweet."

"Yeah." He shrugged. "But I miss us."

Y/n tried to suppress her grin. "I miss us too."

"But it's good to try something new."

...and her smile was promptly gone.

"Hey, guys, wait up!"

They both turned their heads to see the young woman hobble after them in high heels, wearing a short, tight purple dress that enhanced her killer figure.

Y/n's eyes widened. She looked at Sunwoo. His eyes were wide. He looked back at Y/n.

"W-what?" He cleared his throat.

"Hey guys!" The woman smiled brightly. "I haven't been out in since my University days, so I thought I'd throw this on."

'Throw this on?' She thought, 'it looks like you spent two hours just getting the dress on...'

"Is it nice? It's a really old dress." She pouted.

"It's...nice." Sunwoo commented, his eyes travelling...elsewhere...before he brought them back up quickly, a little embarrassed.

Y/n watched him, displeased. "Yeah. It's nice. Let's go."

"These shoes kind of hurt, though, can we walk a bit slower?"

"Do you need help walking?" Sunwoo held out his arm. Y/n shot him a strange glance that even he couldn't decipher. 'What' He mouthed. 'I'm helping.'

The two walked slowly behind as Y/n powered ahead. There was already a plethora of people at the bar, all sat down in respective seats. Y/n instinctively sat down in a seat with a space next to her, on autopilot.

Though, she was promptly pulled out of her daze when Detective Choi took a seat next to her.

"Oh, I was actually saving that for-"

"Sunwoo? Yeah. He's coming with Jiyoon though, they'll probably sit together."

"How did you know I was saving..."

He grinned. "Anyway, shall we order?"

A few minutes passed and the slow couple walked through the door. Jiyoon's hand was still grasped firmly onto Sunwoo's sleeve, and the two looked even more like a match made in heaven when they sat down at the table.

"Ooh~ Sunwoo, Jiyoon, you two look like you could be a couple!"

Y/n huffed. She never heard any comments like that when they were partners. Maybe it was the looming bottles of alcohol that she was going to drink, but she was ready to forget this night.

A Few Hours Later...

"Cheers!" Y/n slurped down another shot. She could barely keep her eyes on one object, and her balance was long gone. She wasn't the only drunk in the group, but she was the most inept drunk at holding her drinks well...

"Detective, are you alright? Your face looks warm..."

"Don't touch me!" She warned, in a not-so-aggressive tone. It's hard to sound angry when you look like you've just been spun on a merry-go-round for 3 days straight.

"I think you should stop having drinks now. Can we cut Detective L/n off, now?"

"Don't cut me off! I'm still thirsty..." she proclaimed, unable to pronounce the 'st' in 'thirsty'.

"You're cut off now, okay? Done. Finito."

"No!" She protested, standing up with her purse in hand. Sunwoo glanced up, worried by the state she was in. "Fine. I'll just go home and drink..." she grumbled, almost tripping over the bench on her way out.

"I think I'm gonna go, Jiyoon."

"Already?" She whined, only a bit tipsy. "Please stay, we didn't even get to have our friends-drink!"

"Sorry." He laughed nervously, pulling her hands off of his sleeve. "Maybe next time."

Y/n wandered down the street, challenging anyone who stared at her. "Don't look at me~" she glared, her feet crossing over one another as she stumbled down the pavement.

"Hey, you..." Sunwoo put an arm around her back so her hand could rest on his.

"Oh?" She giggled. "Not hanging out with your girlfriend? You'll make her lonely~"

He chuckled. "Nope. Not anymore. Are you ready to go home?"

"I wanna drink some more." She chimed.

"No~" He sung, "I'll take you home."

"My home?" She stopped, tilting her head up. Sunwoo could see the sparkle in her eyes, and it threw his heart for a loop.

"Uh...well, where do you wanna go? Your home or mine?"

"My home." She nodded.

"Okay then, let's go."

Sunwoo was careful to walk her onto the bus to make sure she didn't fall. He led her down the aisle to the back of the bus, where she quickly fell asleep on his shoulder.

"Hmph." He brushed the hair from her eyes, her eyelids fluttering from the gentle touch. They stayed like that until the bus reached it's final destination, only a few minutes from her apartment complex.

She stayed asleep on his back the whole way there, even when he bumped her head into a wall trying to search through the thousands of pockets for her door keys. After figuring that out, he brought her inside.

"Goodnight, Y/n." He chuckled, laying her down in her bed. He tucked the covers into the sides of her body.

Sunwoo locked the door from the outside and slid the keys through a small slit beneath the door. Hopefully she would see in the morning...he was going to text her about it anyway.

Then, he went home...