The Old Friends

You took a deep breath and slammed the ax down onto the wood. The log split apart without much effort.

Maria: Do it again!

You just chuckled as Maria dragged another piece of wood towards you. You picked it up from her and looked at it.

Y/N: I think we chopped enough wood for now, don't you?

Maria: Another! It's do cool!

You looked at her then at the log. You suddenly got an idea.

Y/N: What if I split this apart with my hands? Would that be cool enough to call it a day?

Maria's eyes went wide.

Maria: Can you?!

You looked at the log and thought about it.

Y/N: Maybe.

You grabbed the log with two hands and took a deep breath. You then began to pull the wood. Eventually it cracked and you split it apart.

You held the two pieces of wood and showed them to your niece who looked at you like you were the coolest person in the whole world.

Maria: THAT'S SO AWESOME!

You couldn't help but smile at the girl's excitement. You tossed the two pieces of wood over into the pile as you sister stepped out onto the front porch.

Elizabeth: Finally found you two.

You turned around and gave her a wave.

Y/N: Yep. She came and woke me up earlier. The sun was up, so Maria was up, and now I'm up.

Elizabeth: Of course.

She walked over to the two of you. She was already dressed in some jeans and a shirt which was tucked in. She had a thin blanket over her shoulders.

You laughed a bit to yourself.

Elizabeth: What's so funny?

You just shook your head.

Y/N: I just...never really thought we would be dressed like this again.

Elizabeth looked down at your outfit. You had on a F/C button upp tucked into your jeans and even some of your dad's old boots.

Elizabeth: All you're missing now is a hat.

You reached behind your back and pulled out an old trucker hat which you had stuffed into your back pocket. You unfolded it and pulled it on.

Elizabeth: There it is.

You both shared a smile before Maria walked over.

Maria: Mom! Uncle Y/N split a wood in half!

Elizabeth: Did he, now? Well, your uncle is very strong. Just like daddy is.

Maria: Uh huh!

Just don't go expecting an arm wrestling match, kiddo. You brushed your hands off by dusting them together. You felt your phone go off, but you didn't really bother to check it.

You didn't need more to worry about right now. And if it was something serious, Jinx knew to call your sister.

Elizabeth: So, what are your plans for today?

You shrugged.

Y/N: I'm gonna help around the house. After that, I'm gonna head into town. Say hi to some old friends.

Elizabeth: Good. You shouldn't spend all your time coped up in here.

She sighed before she placed a hand on your shoulder.