-Prologue-

Harry's POV

I tried to blink back my tears as I packed all of my belongings, but I just couldn't. It was too much. I was too hurt, too lost.

"Do you need my help, Harry?" My older sister asked quietly, walking into my room. I didn't have to look up at her to know that she was an emotional mess. But then again...so was I.

I shook my head, not looking up at her. "No, I'm fine. I'm almost done." I tried to keep my voice even, but failed miserably. Gemma came over to me and pulled me into a comforting hug. I returned it gratefully.

"Are you sure you don't want to come to America? You could live with me." She asked, for the fiftieth time.

"I can't just leave the county, Gemma. You know that." I sighed, then pulled out of the hug. "Just let me finish packing up, and I'll meet you downstairs."

Gemma nodded, fighting back tears, then ran out of my room, down the stairs and to the car. She easily gets her feelings hurt, and that made guilt course through me. I hate when I hurt her feelings. She means the world to me.

You see, Gemma is all I have. I don't have any aunts or uncles, and my grandparents on both sides passed away long ago. Our parents just recently died while away on a business trip. They were both shot. Because I had just turned seventeen and wasn't a legal adult yet, I only had two choices. One, was to move with Gemma to America. Gemma was attending her dream college there. My second option was to be adopted, which allowed me to stay in England. So, I chose option two.

I know what you're thinking. Family sticks together, right? You think that I should just move away to America with Gemma? Well, no matter how much I love her, I can't. I don't want to leave England. I have so many memories here, so many things I want to do here. But most importantly, I don't want to leave because I'm afraid that if I leave, I will lose touch with the memories of my parents. I wanted to be able to visit my parents grave whenever I wanted, and to go places that my parents and I use to go. England was my home, and I didn't plan on leaving anytime soon. Besides, I would only have to be with my foster family for a year, then I would be out.

I took a deep breath as I placed my very last possession into my bag...it was a picture of mum, dad, Gemma and I. It was now my most valued possession, and I would make sure to never go anywhere without it. I let a tear slide down my cheek before I closed my bag and threw it over my shoulder. All my other bags were already packed and loaded into Gemma's car. I took one last look at my room, this being the last time I would ever see it, before walking out the house. I was going to miss this place. Things are never going to be the same.

**A week later**

I sighed, glancing down at the clock. It was 10 am. I had another sleepless night. Today was Wednesday. Lovely. I've been sitting in this adoption center for exactly a week.

"Good morning Harry." Miss Lopez said, coming into my room at the adoption center. I was sitting on my bed, staring blankly at the wall when she entered. I looked at her with tired eyes.

"Good morning." I replied softly. She was used to me being quiet and laid back.

"I have good news for you. Remember the family that you met yesterday?" she asked excitedly, and I nodded. "I have good news for you. Remember the family that you met yesterday?" she asked excitedly, and I nodded. The two adults I met were really nice. Their names were Maura and Bobby Horan. They said they had a son my age and they all had just moved from Ireland to Doncaster. They informed me that his name was Niall, and that he hadn't enrolled into the school yet because they had just finished unpacking and getting things settled.

"Yes, I remember them. "I answered lamely, my voice dull. "Why?" I questioned, even though I already knew.

"They've decided to adopt you! They're here right now." She smiled. "So quick, grab your things and meet me in the lobby near my office." She left the room quickly, leaving me to it. I liked her a lot. She was a real sweetheart.