Chapter VIII

The memory, still so vivid, played through Vincent's head. That day, when he learned of the experiment on Lucrecia's child. Both she and Hojo were so certain, while he seemed to be the only one with any morals.

All I did was watch, he told himself. I didn't even try to stop her. That was my sin. And this...this condition...this is my punishment. At least, that's what I once believed. Three years ago, I met people who helped me move forward. In truth, I don't think there was anything I could do back then. Lucrecia...she was too hardheaded. She wouldn't listen to reason until it was too late. I showed her love and compassion, but she never reciprocated any of it, not once. And now, all she's able to do is apologize and run away from her sins. So perhaps...I was never at fault in the first place?

~~~~~

Vincent slowly opened his eyes, groggy. He was lying on his back on a bench, and turned his head to look around. His crimson gaze landed on the figure seated across from him, cloaked with a hood designed like a moogle. The stranger waved and greeted him with a "morning".

"Where... Who are you?" he inquired, his vision still clearing.

The female stood and struck a heroic pose. "Well, I'm glad you asked. I am the champion of the earth and sky. I am the conqueror of evil. The single white rose of Wutai!" She grabbed her cloak and flung it dramatically, revealing her identity. "Yuffie Kisaragi!" She jumped onto the bench. "Feast your eyes on-" she lost her balance and suddenly fell back, banging her head on the monitor behind her. "Owww! Oww!" Clutching her head, the ninja wailed and whined in pain.

Vincent only stared at her, then slowly turned his gaze back up to the ceiling. "So, where are we?" he asked, despite recognizing the interior of the WRO's vehicles.

Yuffie gave him an annoyed pout. "Come on! Aren't you at least a little concerned?"

The male looked at her again. "Oh, Yuffie... It's been a while... How's your head?" He was completely monotone.

"You-! Could you at least pretend to be sympathetic?" Vincent started to sit up, but stopped, clutching his chest with a groan of pain. Yuffie immediately jumped up. "Ah, hey! Take it easy. That was a big hole you had in your chest."

"A hole in my chest?" Vincent repeated.

"Uh-huh. I seriously thought you were a goner, but then the wound healed itself right up. You were always 'different', but I guess that's why you're still breathing."

"Yuffie, what are you doing here? And what happened to Vianca?" He suddenly remembered the former Tsviet back at the mansion. He was confused by his last glimpse of her before he passed out.

"Well, I'm just helping out Reeve and his gang. I was poking around Nibelheim and I found you looking all corpse-like in Shinra Manor. So I saved you! Imagine that --- me, saving the great-" She spun in place with a cheery grin. "-Vincent Valentine!" Her eyes suddenly darted to the side as her smile faded. "And if you're asking about that Deepground girl that was protecting you, she's over there." She pointed to a corner of the room where Vianca was tied up, still unconscious. "I didn't know who she was so I brought her too. But I wasn't exactly sure what side she was on, so..."

Vincent slowly managed to get up, the pain in his chest dying down. He went over to the white-haired girl, untying the rope binding her wrists. Carefully picking her up, he brought her over to the bench he'd been sitting on, laying her down more comfortably.