3. Private Lessons

✧ ♥ ✧

✧ ♥ ✧

That night Katya dreamed of liquid darkness seeping from Kirigan into her body, filling her with strange and exciting emotions. When she woke up her heart was pounding and she noticed a familiar ache between her legs. It had not been that kind of a dream, yet it had felt the same. Lust. Desire. She desired his power.

Though, she had to admit, she desired him as a man, too. She was attracted by both his physical appearance and his personality.

Again Katya wondered what it would feel like if she touched more of him. His whole body, intertwined with hers... raw power seeping into her from everywhere...

Her breathing increased and she reached down to touch herself, trying to satisfy that burning itch, but the release she got was not enough. Not nearly enough.

✧ ♥ ✧

"Good morning. Slept well?" This time Kirigan met Katya at the door. It looked like he had waited for her to come as eagerly as she had longed to go there.

"Uh, yes, thank you General." Her cheeks grew hot.

"And your breakfast was satisfactory?"

"It was delicious. My appetite has grown lately." She met his gaze, and noticed his dark hair was still slightly damp from his bath. She fought down an urge to touch it.

"Suppressing your ability for so long made your body weak. I'm glad you have finally come to a place where you could be yourself. You look healthy."

"I'm glad I came here too." Katya realized it was true. Until yesterday she had hated it here, but now... Not anymore.

"Today I'm going to summon darkness, and you will try to make your fire bright enough to dispel it."

"Alright, General."

"Please. Call me Aleksander."

Katya stared at him. He was the most influential man in Ravka – next to the king – and he wanted them to be on a first name basis?

"Don't look so surprised. You're extremely powerful, almost on a par with me, and I have never met my equal before. We ought to be friends." Something in his gaze made her certain he was telling the truth.

"Alright then, Aleksander." She smiled shyly, feeling a warmth in her chest.

"Good. Let's begin!"

He put his hands together, and when he brought them apart Katya saw tendrils of darkness gather in the corners of his office. They billowed and grew, drawing closer, and her heart beat faster when the cheerful morning light shaded over and the room became dim. Soon it was almost too dark to see anything.

A spark flared as he lit a candle and brought it before her like yesterday. Its lonely little flame fought to penetrate the compact darkness, but only managed to illuminate his face rather spookily from below.

Putting her own hands together, Katya summoned fuel until the candle burned large enough to split into a new fireball.

Kirigan blew out the candle and positioned himself behind her like before. When his hands touched hers, the feeling was even more intense than yesterday. His fierce strength flowed into her, mingling with her own ability and enhancing it almost painfully. Her hair stood on end as the fireball blazed up, white-hot and sizzling.

Involuntarily she took a step backwards. His hard, flat chest stopped her, and she relaxed, comforted by his close vicinity; his strong arms enclosing her. She felt his breath on her neck, and realized he was breathing as fast as her. Did this feel the same for him?

The darkness was still compact around them, but the globe of light from Katya's fire was gradually expanding. It did not dispel the shade entirely, but not far from.

The effort was tolling on them both; her fingers shook and she felt his breathing get irregular and labored.

"I think this is enough for today," he choked.

"Okay." Slowly she allowed the flame to shrink, smothering it until it was gone, while simultaneously Kirigan's darkness dissolved.

He did not release her at once, and with the fireball gone, she felt another heat; his body flush against hers. It struck her that no power had come into her from that direction. Was this because he could only send it through his hands? Or was it... their clothes getting in the way?

"What happens now?" she asked, still a bit breathlessly.

"Now... We've earned ourselves a break."

A/N:

A/N:

In the next chapter Katya and Kirigan take a ride together. :)