Epilogue: The Birthday

I was not quite satisfied with the outcome for Aleksander in the original books and show, so this is an alternate version of what happens after Season 1. :)

Warning for tooth-rotting fluff!

✧ ♥ ✧

✧ ♥ ✧

Epilogue: The Birthday

Exhausted and completely satisfied, Katya lay on the black silk sheets, her heated skin slowly cooling down. "This must be my best present ever," she mumbled sleepily. "It was amazing. Thank you."

"What, did you think that was all? Mere physical pleasure?" Aleksander chuckled. "I have so much more planned for this day." He pushed back a strand of damp hair from her forehead and gave her a peck on the nose. "Ready for your birthday breakfast?"

She smiled, giving him a proper kiss in return. "I could eat a whole stag," she said when she released him.

The tray Aleksander brought her didn't include venison, but was instead a mixed platter of all her favorite dishes.

"You cooked this?"

"I tried."

The toast was slightly burned and the honey had spilled onto the eggs, but it was the most delicious breakfast Katya had ever had. Living in the palace normally meant exquisite meals prepared by an armada of cooks, but also rather impersonal. That Aleksander – the King of Ravka now! – had gone up early to cook for her made all the difference.

"You even picked lily-of-the-valleys!" Wiping her eyes, she pulled him in for a sloppy kiss.

"Ugh, you taste honey." He made a mock grimace. Aleksander preferred bitter coffee imported from the south and dark bread.

They ate in peaceful silence, him munching his frugal bread and reading a news bulletin, her stuffing herself with sticky toast and sweet tea.

Though they had been married for several years, this was the first birthday Katya was not obliged to celebrate in the Fold, or in a damp soldier's camp somewhere. They had had a tough start, which made this lovely morning all the more deserved, she figured.

After breakfast Genya arrived to make Katya pretty for the day's celebration. Since the old king was thrown in prison, the Tailor was free to work with whom she chose, and was paid for her service as well. She now had a lucrative business going for her downtown. Today Aleksander had hired her for his queen's benefit.

Genya didn't talk much when she worked on Katya's face and hair; she had been Alina Starkov's friend and probably wished she was leading Ravka rather than Katya and Aleksander. Perhaps one day Genya would leave the country and join Alina's and Mal's Grisha army in Shu Han, like so many others. It was easier to travel there now that the war had ended and the hostilities between the rival Grisha armies were less severe.