7. The Darkling's Lover

✧ ♥ ✧

✧ ♥ ✧

All night, Katya thought about the situation, and the next morning she had made her decision. Without waiting for a summons, she walked to the general's office and asked the guards outside to tell him she needed to see him.

It did not take long before she was allowed inside.

As usual Aleksander sat at his desk, looking very calm and collected. "Good morning. I don't recall summoning you?"

His cool politeness might have dissuaded her, had she not seen his fingers clench the armrests of his chair. He was not at all as calm as he pretended.

Katya did not flatter herself that the Darkling was afraid of her. He was the most powerful Grisha in the world, an immortal Shadow Summoner, and she was still only an Inferni who might never learn to summon suns. And if she tried to reveal his real identity to anyone, she would only be laughed at.

Instead, she thought he worried she had started to hate him like so many others before her. He had shared his secrets with her, and his visions for the future. Maybe he just wanted her to support him, and work with him of free will; helping him reach his goals, and perhaps ease some of his loneliness.

"I have come for another session," she said.

He raised his eyebrows. "A session?"

She nodded, biting her lip to keep her face neutral. "An experiment, if you will."

"And what experiment would that be?"

Walking closer, she lowered her voice in case the guards outside listened through the door. "I'm still curious whether all parts of you work as amplifiers."

Whatever he had expected Katya to say and do today, this was clearly not it. She could see that he tried to think of something to reply, but when he opened his mouth nothing came out.

Katya failed to keep a straight face. "Aren't you curious too?" She grinned.

He took her hand and pulled her down to straddle his lap. "I have been ever since you brought the subject up yesterday."

He kissed her again, a lot more passionately than the first time, and now she paid attention to his power. His lips actually did give her a similar tingling sensation as his hands, though a lot weaker since she was not summoning at the moment. Had she not focused on the sensation she may not have noticed it at all, but it was clearly there.

He pulled back and met her gaze. This close, his eyes were so large and dark that she drowned in them.

"Are you sure this is what you want?"

"Yes." Katya stroked his cheek, feeling his coarse beard brush against her palm. A strand of his hair had fallen over his forehead and she pushed it back. It was softer than she had expected.

She kissed his lips softly. "I'm yours."

He threw his arms around her, caressing her back and shoulders, and the kiss deepened. Exploring his body in return, Katya enjoyed feeling his strong muscles under the thick fabric of his kefta.

After a while she murmured: "Aleks..."

"Hmm?"

"About the experiment..."

"What about it?"

"I was serious. Let's summon together, without so many clothes... If it works, the power would be incredible."

"We would have to go somewhere else, or you might burn the place down." He chuckled, clearly intrigued by the idea.

"I'm not unfamiliar with doing such things outdoors. Quite the opposite, actually."

"Tsk-tsk. Villagers." He shook his head.

A/N:

A/N:

Time for a little rendez-vouz in the forest. It should be fun. :D