25. Taking Control

✧ ♥ ✧

✧ ♥ ✧

Her limbs were becoming weak with the strain of upholding the new, dark fire, so Katya allowed it to wink out. Now she knew exactly what to do about the problem with the Sun Summoner and Aleksander.

Smiling wickedly, she turned to Mal. "You are coming with me."

"What? Where?"

"I'll explain on the road. Wait here while I get my wolf."

She quickly packed a few things before hurrying back with Laika in tow, feeling more hopeful than she had in weeks. This would work; she was certain of it.

When she returned she didn't see Mal at first, but then he appeared from behind a tree. "The general was just here, arguing with an old woman... He called her mother."

"Baghra," Katya hissed. "She's a horrible old witch."

"I think she was the one who sent the assassin after me; she told General Kirigan I was disposed of and that he would never find the stag now." He frowned. "She implied she had taken Alina away, and that without me he could never find her either."

"She means to counter his plans, then," Katya mused. Had Baghra managed to kill Starkov? Or at least imprisoned her? If so, it would make things even easier for Katya.

"She said Kirigan had planned to use Alina against the rest of the world. What did she mean by that?"

"It's a long story and we must get going."

"No." He shook his head vividly. "I'm not leaving until I know Alina is safe. How would he use her? You have to tell me."

Katya contemplated making something up but then decided against it. Why not let him know the truth? Perhaps he would be easier to persuade if he knew. She needed him to succeed with her plan.

"General Kirigan is the Black Heretic. The original one."

"Say, what? He died ages ago."

"His power prolonged his life, and he faked his death many times. Now he means to use the stag to amplify Starkov's power and to control it... in order to expand the Fold."

Mal's head whipped up. "He's a monster!"

"I wouldn't say monster, exactly," Katya disagreed. "He just cares a lot about us Grisha. It's for a good cause, even though–"

"It's a horrible plan! Make the Fold larger? And to use, to control Alina?" He clenched his fist, smacking it into the tree trunk. "I'm gonna kill him."

"You will do no such thing," she snapped. "As I said before, you can't anyway; you're no match for him." Softening her tone, she added: "Come with me instead; I know a way to counter this and you can help."

He didn't look convinced.

"I won't let Aleksander – Kirigan – control the Fold." She moved closer, lowering her voice. "You see, with this new power I'll be the one in control."