Fifteen

ALASKA
Markus

I took a deep breath, relishing in the scents that washed over me

I took a deep breath, relishing in the scents that washed over me. My wolf was so excited that I felt his energy coursing through my veins, his tail wagging as he urged me on.

I willingly obliged, jogging up the small hill and stopping to admire the view. Distant mountains, a huge lake at the base that wrapped around clusters of trees with a crisp breeze rustling branches and swirling leaves up into the air-- it was like something from a dream.

Turning to articulate my joy, I frowned to find that the others were lagging behind. "Come on! We're almost halfway!" I don't think I'd ever been so excited to exercise in my entire life.

"I've done fifteen thousand steps and we're not even halfway?!" Adelyn cried out, pretending to weep as she checked her watch. At least, from here it seemed as though she was pretending. "I'll pay someone to carry me, at this point."

"Is this far enough out, do you think?" I asked Daniel as he jogged to catch up to me. Caleb was busy pulling a protesting Lyn along with Chloe laughing beside them.

He stopped to survey the area, listening intently. "I think so. I can't hear anyone other than those bickering toddlers back there."

"Hey!" Caleb called back, shushing the girls and going quiet all the same.

I strained to hear any other voices or heartbeats anywhere close by. Nothing. Hopefully by now we'd walked far enough off the main trails that we wouldn't encounter any other humans.

And if we did...then they would get the shock of their lives.

My wolf began jumping about, howling and scratching to be let out. My eyes flickered golden. "Okay, okay, calm down," I muttered, handing my backpack to Daniel and shrugging off my top.

"He's excited?" Caleb guessed. He and the girls had caught up, by now.

"Extremely," I answered. As the others looked out at the views and began taking pictures of the scenery, I took off the rest of my clothes, bundled them together, and shifted.

The instant my wolf was free, he took off. Like trying to hold a kite in a hurricane, I figured it was easier to let go and watch him fly away rather than fight off the inevitable. The feel of the ground beneath his paws and the icy wind in his fur spurred him on, and he shot like a bullet down the valley. If I let him, he'd probably run for miles.

It was only when we heard the others calling for us that I urged him to go back to the group.

He skidded to a stop and ran back up the hill, letting out a brief howl of contentment.

"Such great recall, did you train him yourself?" Chloe asked Caleb conversationally as I trotted up to them, like they'd just met at a dog park, or something. Idiots.