Riveting Revealations

"So you're gonna be the new guardian?"

"That is what he says."

Marinette remained silent.

"That's fine and all, but why are we cuddling on your apartment balcony?"

That was a question worth asking.

For this was Marinette Dupain-Cheng.

A normal girl having a crazy life.

How did she end up here, with Chat Noir, the love of her life, perching her in his arms, with a thin, light pink blanket around them?

Chat blushed lightly, chuckling.

Let's go a little back in time, shall we?

*

"Who do you plan on picking as a hero? I mean, you were pretty hesitant to choose me."

"I don't really know. I do have a person in mind, the one who was supposed to have the mouse and dog miraculous before you."

"I see. So I was just a second choice then? Not even a second choice, I wasn't a choice at all."

"Marinette, my reasons for not picking you weren't what you're thinking. In fact, you were my very first thought. Even my kwami wanted to pick you and he doesn't even like ME!"

Marinette giggled.

"Really? Now I really want to meet your kwami."

Marinette realized the implications of what she had said and hastily covered up, "NOT THAT I WANT TO KNOW YOUR IDENTITY! I MEAN, I DO WANT TO, OUT OF CURIOSITY BECAUSE WHO ISN'T CURIOUS BUT JI DON'T WANNA FORCE YOU TO REVEAL! I DIDN'T—"

She took a deep breath, mentally reminded herself to get run over by a bus later and then said, "Forget what I said."

Chat laughed.

His voice struck a cord.

She loved his laugh.

She began to question herself:

Why hadn't she fallen for such a dork before?

Unknowingly she cupped his cheek.

Chat froze at the sudden touch, (realizing the author was finally getting an outlet for all her MariChat thoughts) his stiffening making Marinette snap out of whatever trance she was in.

She deftly removed her hand, only to have him hold it in his own.

"Keep it there." He leaned into her touch, their foreheads touching.

Marinette blushed, the night chill and her exhaustion giving her an excuse for the same.

The one thing she'd realised in her years as Iris was that Chat was touch-starved.

One little scrub under the chin or a pat on his head would make him melt.

The kitty needed more love and she was more than willing to provide it.

She engulfed him in a big hug, his chin resting on her shoulders, stiff at first but gratefully embracing back.

"I like you, Chat." She said,  instinctively.

This time, Chat stiffened as hard as a brick.

The brick of realisation hit Marinette on the head as the truth of her words dawned upon her.

'Shit.'

She racked her brains for excuses.

Should she just pretend to be asleep, appearing to have said that in a dream?