The Greatest Form Of Love

Nobody:

Iris in the entire previous chapter: why am I even here?

What is my role-

Did the author forget I exist-

I'm supposed to be the main character-

*

When this book's over, do you guys want me to tell a little history behind the idea? How the original plot was supposed to go? Iris and Gaia's initial character designs? I really wanna show how much this story has changed, and I have their beta designs too, so yeah-

Tell me what y'all think!

*

[TW: THIS CHAPTER INCLUDES MENTIONS OF SUICIDE, SELF-HARM, ABUSE AND DOMESTIC VIOLENCE THAT MAY BE DISTURBING TO SOME READERS]

"It was also because of me."

Her throat was dry, words choking out.

"H-How...?"

"He was a strong man," the words came out almost emotionlessly, "All that shit about him committing suicide due to guilt, remorse, and the public pressure was just a stupid lie."

Lila's breath hitched.

"It was because of me he died."

The sudden gush of emotion came in a rough, rapid wave, overwhelming everyone present. Her dry, coarse voice struck a chord and the words knocked them out like a gust of strong wind.

Her eyes watered, the coldness of the gaze faltering away like the dim light of a low-on-battery torch. Her lips quivered as she searched the depths of her mind for the right words.

You could hear a pin drop.

A new day dawned upon them, the sun rose.

Did this day signify new beginnings...?

Or the end of old relations?

She screamed suddenly, surprising everyone and breaking them out of their trance-like state.

"It was because of ME! ANYONE WHO KNEW HIM EVEN REMOTELY WELL ENOUGH SAW HIM FOR WHO HE WAS! A STRONG, UNBREAKABLE WALL. HE WASN'T SOMEONE WHO'D JUST—JUST GIVE IN TO PUBLIC IMAGES!"

Lila trembled, eyes wide and eyeballs shaking—as if dancing.

"HE DIDN'T GIVE A SHIT ABOUT WHAT OTHERS THOUGHT! HE DID WHAT HE NEEDED TO—TO KEEP HIS FAMILY HAPPY AND SUFFICIENT. COME WHAT MAY, HE WAS WILLING TO DIE FOR US! BUT THIS—"

"SUICIDE!?"

She burst out laughing.

In pain.

She was laughing at her own pain, her own sadness. 

Her laughter echoed in the air, bone-chilling, terrifying, sadistic. 

"THAT'S BULLSHIT!" 

"HE'D DIE OF SUICIDE?! THAT'S A FILTHY LIE! HE HAD NEVER BEEN THE TYPE TO GO AND KILL HIMSELF IF THINGS DIDN'T GO HIS WAY! HE'D ALWAYS TAUGHT ME, 'LIVE YOUR LIFE TO THE FULLEST! AND WHEN YOU GO OUT, GO OUT WITH A BANG! MAKE THE WORLD REMEMBER YOU!' DO YOU THINK A MAN WHO SAID THAT WOULD DIE SUCH A STUPID, PATHETIC DEATH!?"

(A/N: If the above sentence triggers you, I am extremely sorry. In no way do I think suicide is 'stupid' or 'pathetic'. It's just meant that way in this particular incident. If you are offended by this, please forgive me. Suicide is a real problem, and if you or someone you know are prone to suicidal thoughts, PLEASE call on a suicide prevention helpline.)