The Girl Who Knew

Iris whipped her head from one to another.

There stood, a crying, screaming mess, in the middle of a seemingly non-existent battle, Lila Rossi.

"B-But I thought she-"

Instinctively, her line of sight fell upon Shadowbug.

The surprise on her face, genuine and surreal was arguably more than hers.

There was an air of recognition in her eyes as she stared at the huffing figure.

Through her peripheral vision, she saw him.

Chat Blanc.

For the first time, his cool gaze faltered, his hand twitched and he called off the cataclysm subconsciously.

There was light in his eyes. Albeit dim but it was surely there.

Iris didn't need to be told.

She seized the opportunity faster than a cat who swallowed the canary and broke her weakened control over Chat Blanc.

She was finally able to call off the akumatization.

Chat fell to the ground with a thud, gasping and panting heavily. His dilapidated pupils shook in his green eyes and his breathing was uneven.

His hand flew to his chest as he hastily calmed his thumping heart.

Iris also collapsed on the ground due to the exhaustion of maintaining control over someone as far away as him. The dullness of her eyes was ever so apparant.

Chat caught his breath and guiltily rushed to her aid.

"M'lady? Iris? Please tell me you're alright!" Evidently, he was on the verge of crying.

"Your back is wide open, idiot. She'll attack you and you won't even know." The smile on her lips, however soft, was broken and tired.

"I'm sorry." He repined guiltily, hugging her close to his chest, feeling her ragged breaths. He buries his face in her shoulder as she gently drew circles on his back.

Both of them turned around to see Shadowbug and Lila, standing face to face.

Shadowbug, who was assumed to be Lila, had stiffened abruptly, her gasps all too audible.

She threw her head down.

Her shoulders hitched.

She exhaled sharply.

She hysterically gave out a bark of laughter.

Lila's face was set in stone. Rigid.

Her eyes were watering and her cheeks were red, and the fist she clenched was hard enough to make her palms bleed. But she kept the poker face ruefully.

"Ha..."

Her voice rung out painfully, filling the air with its crisp, monstrous note.

"It's you..."

"Just when I thought things were going to end..."

"You had to show up now of all times..."

Her fingers spread as she slammed her hand on her face, "Just when it was all going to okay..."

"I see your face..."

She dragged her hand down her face in a long, slow motion. Almost dramatically.

Her laughter rang berserk. 

Cold. 

Scary.