take you places

Author: lazy_daze

Link: https://archiveofourown.org/works/1063337

Summary:

Because someone wanted me to write aftermath of the Zayn/Liam whipping we saw in 1D Day, and this happened. UGH GOD HE'S DONE MY BOTTOM.

"That was funny," said Liam on the plane a few days later, on the way back from the US; slumped in his first class seat, ankle shoved over to invade the bubble of Zayn's pod, foot resting on top of Zayn's. Sometimes Zayn liked the privacy of these fancy pods they got in first class, that they could just curl up flat and sleep, like the tour bus; but sometimes he missed how it was when they were shoved in close together, knees and shoulders bumping, all giddy tiredness and excitement as they flew to new countries.

"W'was," mumbled Zayn, jostling his foot under Liam's, not to make him get off, but as, like, acknowledgment. Foot greeting.

"The thing," said Liam, then yawned. "With the whip. Indiana Jones."

"That was months ago, Liam," said Zayn, sleepily confused as to why Liam was bringing it up now.

"Yeah, I know, but, like, it was funny to see it again. On screen. I bet other people found it funny. The fans, like."

"Yeah," said Zayn, more awake now. Liam had done this the first time around, after Zayn'd done it; kept saying how funny it had been, Zayn being Indiana Jones and whipping Liam on the bottom, kept sticking his bum out like Zayn should do it again then bouncing off laughing.

Liam did that, sometimes, Zayn had been noticing. Kept bringing some things up. Part of that was just Liam – if something was funny, he was delighted with it, especially if he was involved, and would bring it up long after any normal joke would have died, which might have been annoying with anyone else but it was just sort of endearing with Liam - and Louis never knew when to let any joke die so the two of them were a bloody pair.

But he did it especially with – some things. Like when he'd let Zayn and Andy and them draw all over him; he'd gone all quiet and smiley during, then giddy afterwards, and hadn't wanted to wash the drawings off the next day, and had kept talking about it for weeks. Same with the whipping. That sort of thing, things that involved Liam like that, things that might be sort of humiliating, or embarrassing, Liam seemed to love. Maybe it was part of the issues he still had with friendship – growing up without much peer affection, he glommed on to anything that showed direct attention like that. Or maybe he just – responded to that sort of ownership or dominance over his body, and didn't quite know it, or know exactly how to deal with it, so kept just – laughing about it, wanting to pay attention to it, wanting others to, but not wanting it to be a thing.

Or maybe Lim was just being Liam, but – it was interesting. Zayn watched Liam through half-closed eyes. Liam was twisted to face Zayn, and he grinned, made a 'whuh-tshh!' sound and mimed a whip, foot jostling Zayn's as he moved.

"Yeah," said Zayn slowly. "It was really funny."

"Right?"

"But I swear to god, Liam, if you don't be quiet and let me sleep, I might just do it again right now."

Liam's whole face lit up. "You wouldn't."

"I would. And it'd bloody hurt this time."

Zayn watched, fascinated, behind a mask of indifference, as Liam bit his lip and darted his eyes around. He wondered if Liam would call his bluff – if Liam knew how much he wanted to, and wanted Zayn to have not been bluffing – but after a few moments Liam rolled his eyes and huffed, settled down in his seat and closed his eyes.