Dog is a man...and men's best friend.

Author: anonymousorly

Link: https://archiveofourown.org/works/629985

Summary:

Liam is given a pair of dog ears. [1dkinkmeme prompt]

It all started the week before Halloween.

The boys were enjoying their lunch outside, as it was a rare nice day in October, and discussing what they should be for the holiday.

"The Avengers," Niall suggested before taking a large bite of his sandwich.

Louis shook his head, slurping loudly and mumbling around his straw, "Too conventional."

"The Wanted," Zayn laughed, Harry nearly choking on his potato salad as he too laughed.

"Not even commenting on that one," Louis stated, turning to Liam with a smirk. "Li has to be a puppy. Grrrwoof!"

Liam rose an eyebrow as Niall giggled in agreement. "Why do I have to be a puppy?"

"Because you already are," Niall remarked, everyone else laughing and leaving Liam confused.

Were they not-so-subtlely calling him a bitch?

***

The next day, Harry came up behind Liam and covered his eyes. A soft weight was put around the top of his head and Niall's giggles were close to his ear.

When Harry moved his hands down to his shoulders, Liam was presented with a mirror held by Louis with a reflection of light brown dog ears with pink centers atop his head.

"We have decided," Louis announced, "that you will, in fact, be a puppy."

Liam blinked at him. "For Halloween?"

Louis bit his lip, staring adoring at the headband but not answering, and Harry's fingers pressed against his shoulders more tightly.

Liam touched the ears, asking, "And what will the rest of you dress as?"

"That," Louis said, "we have not yet decided."

Liam wanted to make a crack, say they should be more concerned about their own costumes rather than his, but the softness in Louis' eyes, the pressure of Harry's palms, and the smile across Niall's face stopped him.

***

The day of Halloween was when it finally clicked – the realization that this could be a thing.

Liam was sitting on the couch, waiting as the others scrambled to get ready and rushed in circles from Louis' bedroom to the bathroom. He was long ago finished, black paint on the tip of his nose and grey streaks across his cheeks for whiskers.

Harry fell next to him, handing him a new can of beer, and stated seriously, "Dogs aren't typically allowed on the couch. As you're a puppy, you need to be trained at a young age before it becomes a bad habit we can't change."

Liam inargueably gave a nod and shuffled down to the floor, crossing his legs under himself and taking a sip from his beer. It was in this very moment, as Harry looked over his shoulder to make sure Zayn, Louis, and Niall saw, that they all knew things were about to change.

*****

When they returned to Louis and Harry's flat after the Halloween party, alcohol buzzing in their veins and swimming in their brains but not overly so, they scattered across the living room – Louis on the recliner, Niall, Harry, and Zayn on the couch, and Liam sitting at Louis' feet on the floor.