Chapter 6

I woke up to The Beatles.

Yes, John and Paul screaming at the top of their lungs “all you need is love”. I rubbed my eyes groggily and before I could question anything the sound kind of died away. I yawned and glanced around. I was in my homely bedroom: blue wall clock ticking loud, a pile of books on the bedside table, rays of sunshine already making their way through the blinds and invading my black-and-white duvet…

How did I get here though?

I was in the process of trying to fathom some possible answers to that question when I was surprised by the sound of the feeble door of my little private room creak open slowly, but not as much as to have been caused by a current of wind.

“Alex, did I wake you?” Someone whispered.

Miles

I froze and out of instinct glanced at the other side of my bed. It didn’t seem particularly untouched but, then again, I sort of wriggle when asleep so that wrinkles on the sheets didn’t actually prove anything.

But what if they do?

Tiptoes echoed my way and I quietly lay down again and closed my eyes, trying to pretend being asleep but was caught in the act.

“So I did. I’m sorry Al, I just couldn’t resist playing your Beatles’ LP collection. My god it’s a treasure! Anyway, I made some breakfast so get up [he turned on the bright ceiling lights] and join me if you wanna talk ‘cause I have appointments from eleven today and yea that’s in about twenty minutes.”

It’s so late already? I’m usually an early riser.

I heard him walk away and leave the door ajar. Sluggishly, I got off the bed and headed to the kitchen, desperately following the invisible tea scent thread. I barely acknowledged Miles when I slid on the stool focusing instead on the hot steamy cup before me.

“Well good morning to you too!” He laughed quietly as I gulped down that sweet English elixir.  

Just when I was about to finish drinking my first cup, a loud knock came from the main door. I immediately shot an angry look at Miles who shrug his shoulders because yeah, he doesn’t live here.

I’ve just woken up, I don’t want to socialise.

“Are you expecting someone, Al?” Miles asked in a throaty voice that momentarily disconnected me from reality. I stared at his profile as he lowered his gaze to read the newspaper, the gentle lines that marked it, his messy long fringe threatening to poke his eye with every blink, his parted thin lips that always seemed just about to smile.

More knocks.

“The door Al!” Miles pointed at the bathroom? eyes still glued on the newspaper.

I’m truly not bothered by your presence here. I wouldn’t mind it if you stayed longer.

How am I supposed to take that?

Finally, I kind of came round and hurried to the door in the hopes it’d just be an angry neighbour complaining about the loud music but big was my surprise when I saw Cara and the blond lad from last night standing there.

David, that’s his name.

“Hi!” Cara exclaimed “My God, did we interrupt something? Have you already forgotten David Al!?” She sighed dramatically, taking her hand to her mouth as she sized me up.

Only then did I realise I was wearing just black underwear, not a shirt, not anything else.

Miles saw me like this…oh, does that mean that we…