At last

"Who cares, I'll be there for a long time, if you let me."

His voice was a caress to my soul, and I realised we had both shed our pasts this evening. So I accepted to let Lucas work as I mourned my marriage, and buried it. I fell asleep to the sound of plates and cutlery –domesticity in my house again – feeling free for the first time in years.

I hardly steered when a warm body cuddled behind me, and a kiss landed on my exposed shoulder.

But stir I did when, around 3 am, I awoke from restful slumber, feeling renewed. It was the first day of my new life today; a life where I was free once more.

Beside me, Lucas' even breaths caressed my skin, and I suddenly felt a swell of unmistakable joy flood my chest. For I had, unwillingly, found the very best of men to rest by my side. And by the grace of God, he loved me... How did I get this lucky?

Half awake, I shifted around to face him. Street lights filtered through the curtains, drawing shadows on his high cheekbones and beautiful lips. His hair, askew, covered his high forehead. Lucas seemed younger in sleep, at peace. Gently, I kissed his lips, lingering just for the pleasure of tasting him. Mmm. Delicious.

My eyes closed as my mind slowly drifted back to sleep, his breaths fanning upon my face, his hand still resting heavily around my waist. Warm and secure. As my thoughts quietened, I suddenly felt his lips upon mine, a gentle prodding of his tongue to beg for entrance. Without awakening entirely, I opened my mouth to lock it with his. Our tongues swirled, his hand tightened around my waist, pulling me closer.

Heat pooled in my stomach, all my walls shattered; I wasn't even totally awake when he pushed me on my back and shifted on top of me. My body danced on its own, my mind slumbering as I arched against his warm silhouette. Lips locked in rapture, I opened my legs to encase him, absolutely oblivious to the rest.

I wanted him close. Wanted him inside me. Needed him, like the air I breathed, to fill me with his presence. Was he even awake ? His erratic breath told me he was barely emerging from slumber. I lapped at his skin, nuzzled his neck, and pulled him closer still until he slid in my heated core. The intensity of our joining surprised us both; Lucas gasped as I engulfed him. I had been inactive for so long that my muscles were stiff and tight.

I was too far gone to control my gift; I felt his pleasure, his worry – was he hurting me ? - and his awe at the sensations that crushed his control. My companion paused, fully awake now, searching my face for guidance.

"Elena", he rasped as he paused, his arms shaking around me.

I nodded, shifting my hips to pull him further in. Lucas surrendered, sinking inside of me with a deep, long thrust. I had forgotten how beautiful it was to be loved so fully, and hid my face in his shoulder. Then he started a slow rhythm, filling me so sensually that I abandoned all sense.

There was no one in the house; thank God. Because I was so unleashed, so surprised by the sensations that washed over me that I became vocal. His pleasure mingled with mine, increasing tenfold the sensations that took over my body. I couldn't block him if I wanted to; his emotions were just too raw.

And so overwhelming!

Little by little, I allowed my sanity to give way to the hot fire coursing in my veins. I just couldn't have enough: not enough of his skin, of his body, of his grunts as he frenetically worked me to completion. I didn't know north from south, couldn't even name my children; the only sound that passed my lips was a shattered 'Oh God' and the occasional 'Lucas!'. His magnificent body danced with mine, crushing me, grinding into me. Such a pleasurable friction that I could only beg for more until I exploded altogether, blown away.

Lucas followed soon enough, a mighty groan reverberating in his chest as he plunged so deeply between my legs. Gods, how I loved than man! His peak sent shivers through my spine, my gift entirely opened, like a fountain receiving the pure water of a subterranean source. Drowned, I was totally drowned. Drunk with his feelings, and swept over by mine.

For a blessed moment, we remained there. Panting, legs and bodies intertwined, too dazed to even consider moving. Basking in the beauty of the aftermath. Lucas' lips nuzzled my cheek gently as his breathing slowly quietened. The clock read 3:54 am, and eventually, I started chuckling. Lucas lifted his head, his voice hoarse.

"Elena?"

I loved his tones, rough from our lovemaking, caressing like silk upon my skin.

"All it took was sleep for it to happen."

Lucas chuckled in turn, seeing the truth of my statement. Yes, alcohol and sleep had lowered our walls, and tamed our subconscious fears. And I was so glad, because I'd never experienced such beauty in lovemaking.

At last, Lucas slipped out of me, and settled on his side, his hand running over the smooth skin of my waist. I watched him in the dim light, how the lines of his face were gone, how his swollen lips only begged to be kissed again, and his flushed cheeks emphasised his beautiful eyes.

"You know what Kirsten told me, last year?" I blurted out.

The subject caused a crease to form between his eyebrows.

"Probably a thousand horrible things."

I smoothed that line with my thumb, causing Lucas to close his eyes.

"I tuned out those."

A hum was my only response.

"She told me the sex was amazing with you."

Lucas' eyes flew open, surprised that his ex-wife would make such a statement.

"Really?"

I nodded with a smile. Yes... Lucas was so gentle, so sensual, yet full of energy. And his body was a work of art...

"She was right. God bless Charlie's soul, but it just wasn't the same. I've never felt ... what you just made me feel."

Wow. I could speak about Charlie, and feel at peace. So I went on.

"We have this connection, you and me and you've blown my mind away."

Was I babbling? Yes, probably. My cheeks couldn't grow warmer than they already were anyway, so I watched Lucas' smirk quirk the corner of his lips.

"I don't think it was your mind, dearest."

The pleased twinkle in his eyes was enough for me to kiss his lips anew.

"Right. Smart-ass."

A mighty yawn interrupted my thoughts, and Lucas snatched my waist before he sank on his back. I yelped, thrown across his chest without ceremony.

"Get back to sleep," he ordered, kissing my temple.

And I obeyed.