chapter 11 || just experimenting

Ashton stood staring at the worn out welcome mat in front of the door.
He didn't feel welcome.

Maybe it was because of the sharp interior of the house. The pearl white colour of the paint, or the perfectly trimmed hedges framing the gate.

The door even seemed intimidating. It was large and steel and was cold to touch. Ashton lightly banged his knuckles against it.

He heard a patter of feet on the inside and then the door opened. His mother's face appeared, lips pursed. But when she realized it was Ashton she smiled and opened the door.

"I though it was those darn neighbors complaining about the dog barking again. If they came over here at 11pm again, I was-was...going to give them a piece of my mind." she rambled.

"Mum!" Ashton said. He felt weird. Usually he felt comfortable and safe at home. Now he felt like he didn't belong.

She stopped talking and looked at him with concern, "What's wrong?"

"I know we never really talk about this stuff. That's why I'm not sure how you'll react...but I think I need to tell you. I-I'm dating a boy...." He stopped and the room was filled with silence.

His mother, shocked sat down on the closest couch. "Do you have...feelings for this...boy?"

"Yes," Ashton said looking down at his feet.

Nobody spoke for a while.

"I don't really know how to feel about this Ashton," she sighed, "Maybe if you had had a fatherly figure growing up, you wouldn't be feeling like this," she ran her fingers through her hair,"I'm sorry Ashton, I don't support this."

Ashton felt his heart drop. He steadied himself with his hand on the wall. "But Mum-" he protested.

"I don't think you should tell anyone else about this either. You're probably just experimenting."

Ashton just shook his head. He headed for the door and his mum followed. He walked down the driveway and ripped the car door open. Slamming it shut, he looked back up at the house. His mum was still standing there watching him. He pulled out his phone nervously and dialed.

"Luke-uh hey, I need to see you."