chapter 22 || broken

Luke sat on a park bench near the Lake, his crutches rested up beside it. Only a dim streetlight gave Luke any view of the park. There was no moon and the stars were spare.

Luke sobbed into the sleeve of his jumper. He tried to be quiet (he didn't want to wake the birds) but once the tears started flowing, it felt too good.

He heard footsteps behind him and he tried to wipe the tears from his eyes.

"I can't talk to you right now," Luke sobbed as Ashton sat down next to him on the bench.

"Then just listen. I know what I did was stupid. I know I really fucked up. I know I shouldn't of been the one drinking myself senseless while you were trapped up inside that house with people like that. Look I know what I did was wrong, I've felt terrible these last few weeks, but if you could find anyway to forgive me..."

Luke looked up and started into Ashton's wide eyes, "Do you know what the worst part is," he sobbed, "The worst part is that the whole time I was there I was thinking of you. I was thinking what an amazing person you are. Then there you go sleeping with a bunch of girls, I don't know Ashton! I thought you were the only person I could trust."

"You can trust me," Ashton whispered, the hope slowly leaving his eyes.

"I think of everything we've been through and all the times you've made me happy, and I want to stay with you. But then I've been hurt too many times in my life, and I'm sick of it! Ashton I'm sick of it," Luke cried, pulling away when the curly haired boy tried to comfort him.

Luke shook his head, "I'm sorry, I can't do this," he got up, supporting himself with his crutches, and looked at Ashton one last time, "I really love you," he said as a tear ran down his cheek,"That's why I have to leave, because I can't be broken anymore. I have to leave this god damn city, these god damn people."

Water streamed down Ashton's face,"Please," he said almost silently. He knew he was defeated.

Luke shook his head.

"I love you," Ashton mouthed," I love you so much."

But Luke had already walked away.