ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝟙𝟙: 𝕊𝕙𝕠𝕠𝕥𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝕊𝕥𝕒𝕣

That night after Hitoka went home from the playground. Staring at her bucket list, pencil's edge leaning to her lips, thinking deeply about what to change or erase. She did erase the 'going to Zao Fox Village, go to Mount Fuji, go to the zoo, and go to the museum' because none of them are available near their place. She thinks about going to a rice field, but she thinks that going inside someone else's rice field would be mispleasing. Leaving the list like that means everything is done when 1 year is still a long way to go.

Even though her time for living is short and it would worth doing everything she likes, but Hitoka still looks at current wealth. She then searches on the internet for examples of bucket list activities. From that, she found a lot of inspiration.

- Try out Ichigo Daifuku √
- Ride a Ferris wheel √
- Watch "Hotaru no Haka" √
- Try playing volleyball √
- Have a boyfriend √
- Play the kalimba √
- See the sunset clearly √
- Play in the rain
- Jump off a bridge to a river
- Invite Shoyo to a sleepover
- Share homemade food to the entire vbc

Stay like this for a while, just this list could only take probably 1 month to finish. Hitoka then closed the notebook, puts everything on the table next to her, and sleeps easily because her eyelids are already begging to fall.

-16th May 2013 (Thursday)-

Hitoka walked on the empty school halls, she went to school a little too early. She sat down on her seat in the empty classroom, the sun is seen still rising from the horizon. Suddenly a familiar feeling crossed around her, she tries to remember what that was.

One minute then she realizes, the time when the first person who knew about her disease started knowing it. At the same time there he is, passing by the empty school hall.

He noticed her sitting in her classroom, spaced out. He clapped his hands, "Hey, don't space out!"

"Ah- Shoyo! ...yeah thanks." Hitoka blinked her eyes a few times, Tangerine boy then continues to go to his classroom.

Somehow every one of these coincidences makes Hitoka thinks they are really made for each other, like soulmates. She doesn't believe that soulmates exist, maybe just 'made for each other' or 'the perfect person that can complete another person's life'.

School went normal as usual, no special occasions or anything, everything just went well normally. Hitoka is once again sitting on the swing at the playground near the hospital. She watches the lights there being turned on and off, people going in and out including ambulances and people with infusion poles and wheelchairs. Every one of those happens one by one, the hospital still seems pretty quiet, not like one in the big cities, people hardly get seriously sick here.

Shoyo, well, he went home. He's scared of going to the direction to the hospital. He hasn't got over his nightmare last night. He doesn't want any memory of Hitoka suffering, scared, and weak.

"Shoyo, come eat dinner!"

His mom called, he gets out of his room and found out that his mom made tofu. He can't see tofu normally again, it always reminds him of her who only likes and can eat tofu. He eats it slowly, his mind is filled with images of her. 'Just eat normally, don't make them ask.' he thought.

5:43 PM, Hitoka walked back home. She walks while looking at the sky that makes a beautiful gradient of blue, purple, and orange. As time passes by, the gradient fades away and becomes dark, decorated with gazillions of bright stars and a big waxing crescent moon. The night is basically seeing the space directly, sunlight doesn't flood the atmosphere at that time.

She made it to her house safely, the second she lands a foot to the area of her house, a meteor burned in the atmosphere which they call a shooting star occurred, leaving a little green light behind. Hitoka lets go of everything she holds and goes to a clearer area. The shooting star drops again, and again. Hitoka hurries up and calls Shoyo to see it too before he misses it.

"Hello?"

"There's a shooting star."

Shoyo quickly goes to his backyard and looks up to the dark yet beautiful sky. There it is, a shooting star fell above his head, 2 of them.

"I see it, it's beautiful, like..."

"Like what?"

"Like... You, you remind me of stars, and your tied hair is like a comet."

Hitoka stayed silent, ponder about those words.

"Thanks."

The shooting star drops more and more until it drops the last one.

"Ah, that's the last one, thanks for telling me about this."

"Your welcome, I'll be off now, see you."

"What? Just that?"

"What else are we going to talk about?"

"You got a point, okay then see you later."

"See you later." then Hitoka ended the call.

That night under the waxing crescent moon, a meteor burned in the atmosphere which they call a shooting star. 2 lucky high school students saw that phenomenon and that second will be the night they will never forget.

Hitoka just remembered something that she wanted to ask. But it was too late, calling back would be wasting time just for a simple question, so she'll do it tomorrow.

To Be Continued Next Chapter