Chapter 12

It's Monday. That means I have to return to hell on earth.

High school.

Luckily this was my last year and I only had to endure a couple more months of this torture, then I'm headed off to college. Far, far away from Michigan.

In no way do I hate my home, but I've always dreamed of living in Los Angeles, so that's exactly where I'm going. I'm bound for UCLA in late August and I couldn't possibly be more excited. Of course I have my two best friends going with me, making it all the more exciting.

Rachel, Lucas, and I have been searching for apartments ever since we got our acceptance letters and we even have house rules set up already.

I couldn't help the smile that spread across my face as I thought of my future education as I reluctantly rolled out of my bed and tried to find my favorite baggy jeans.

Once I finished my morning routine I trudged downstairs before grabbing a granola bar and some lunch money from a jar and walked outside through the front door.

I walked over to my trusty beetle before searching in my purse for my keys. I started to panic when I realized that they weren't there and started to retrace my steps and thought of where they could have been.

The last time I had driven was on Saturday because Lucas had come and picked me up the following day to go see a movie, and then it hit me. Fucking Ryan Andrews had my fucking car keys.

He had never given them back to me after driving us back to the house that night. Which meant he more than likely still had them.

I angrily stomped back into the house and yelled to Justin that I needed a ride and fortunately he was already awake and getting ready for work.

Justin works at an accounting firm, which I had never really cared to find out the name of, but he says that he isn't allowed to discuss matters about work at home due to confidentiality rights so I never pried for information. I have never known anyone he works with other than Ryan, and he doesn't have a work phone so sometimes I convince myself that he works in a run down shack.

As we pulled into the school lot, Justin explained to me that he would most likely be able to pick me up after school. He said that if an emergency pops up and that he couldn't get me he would send someone else to and that he would text me beforehand.

I reluctantly opened the car door before stepping onto the icy blacktop, while listening to Justin ramble.

"If there's an emergency call my cell. Have a good day and give 'em hell Kay." he sly grin slid across his face as I rolled my eyes at his usual pep talk and slammed the door closed.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

God, I hate school.

My classes had gone by sluggishly all day and I was exhausted. Mrs.Brick, my Calculus teacher, stood at the front of the class babbling off about equations as I absentmindedly doodled on my notebook.

Then suddenly a piece of crumpled up paper landed on my notebook causing me to slightly jump in my seat. I stared at the paper in confusion for a second before deciding to unravel it. I didn't have any friends in this class, and I was seriously considering that the note wasn't meant for me, until I read the contents.

By the parking lot right after the bell rings. You have exactly two minutes to get there or I won't go easy on you today.

I knew then that the letter was for me as I stared at the messy scrawl. Usually he would just confront me in the hallway to tell me when and where, and of course to threaten me.

He has been my abuser for years now, and I've have the unfortunate opportunity to get used to his demands and always find a way to do as he says.

He terrifies me.

The final bell rang and I couldn't help the feeling of dread that flowed through me as I quickly left the classroom and hurried to my locker, shoving everything into my backpack.

I pushed through the crowds of people as I tried to get outside before he could. It's always worse when I make him wait on me.

When I finally arrived at the parking lot I breathed a sigh of relief that I had made it there before him, that meant no shots to the face...hopefully.

"Kayla, Kayla, Kayla. On time for once, how surprising. Unfortunately for you though, I've had a pretty crappy day. you know what that means." He purred as he walked in circles around my trembling figure.

He pulled out his pocket blade and leaned close to my ear before whispering "You deserve this, you disgusting, worthless piece of shit."

And in that moment everything he said seemed true. Everything Tyler Owens said was right. It always had been and always will be.

He lifted my sweatshirt to expose my brutally scared stomach as he slashed the knife over my damaged skin. The once soft milky skin was covered in scars, the skin bumped and puffed out in some areas due to deep cuts he caused that I had needed stitches for.

Tyler continued his torture as I bit down on my tongue to contain my screams of agony and pain. He would just cut deeper if I  screamed.

He grabbed my shoulders and pushed me down to the ground before landing multiple full power kicks into my stomach, making the stinging pain almost too much to bare.

Profanities spewed from his mouth as he continued his abuse, and just as I was about to pass out from the enormous amount of pain, I saw him.

He ran over to is at full speed and immediately tackled Tyler to the ground.

"You will never fucking touch her again. Do you understand? I will fucking kill you, you worthless piece of shit. What kind of man gets off on beating defenseless women!" He was furiously pounding punches into Tyler's face and I could tell just by looking that Tyler had already passed out from the impact of his hits.

"R-Ryan stop please you're going to kill him." I muttered with all the strength I had as I tried to stand on my feet, but the pain was too strong and he had once again cut too deep, I was loosing too much blood.

"Ryan. Help." I whispered before falling back to the ground.

"Shit." he cursed as he quickly jogged over to me and scooped me up Into his arms. His scent filled my senses as I wrapped my arms around his neck as he carefully walked us back to his car.

"Kayla keep your eyes open okay? Please. Just stay with me, l-I'll make it all better okay? Just please Kayla, stay with me. We just have a five minute drive to your house then I can stitch you up and stop the bleeding. Just hold on." he urged me, trying to calm me down and keep me with him. I was just so tired. My eyes felt as though they had weights forcing them closed and it was nearly impossible for me to keep them open as he laid me down across the back seat and quickly dashed to get into the drivers seat.

His scent was still the only thing on my mind, his soothing voice the only thing I heard. I looked up to see him, only to see a flood of tears flowing down his cheeks. It was a strange occurrence to me. Not once in my entire life had I seen Ryan Andrews cry.

"You have to be okay Kayla. I need you." he quietly whispered as I strained to hear his voice.

Then the weight became too much, and I allowed the darkness to take over my body and mind with open arms.