Due Date

JOSEPHINE

I feel myself being shaken, gently and my name being called so quietly, like a whisper. I have to blink my eyes into focus to allow for the light, coming from the TV in front of me. I feel so sleepy, I never fall asleep on the couch, but having Hero at the side of me just felt so comfortable and warm it caused me to drift off, and him too seemingly.

I've just left Hero in the living room to sort himself out, but I didn't leave him without placing a kiss on his cheek. It's the least I can do after he was here with me for my first midwife appointment. I hope me having our baby at the hospital he was born at means as much to him as it does to me. That's something they'll always share, right from day one. Something small in the grand scheme of things, but still, something. I remove my clothes, putting my bra and underwear in the washing basket at the other side of the room. As it's so humid, I've been donning one of my old Rolling Stones black, oversized t-shirts. To be honest, I'm not entirely sure how it came to be in my possession as it may be Hero's but I'm not certain of it. I just think it's really comfortable and good to sleep in during weather like this. To keep my hair out of my face, I lift it into a bun on the top of my head and secure it partially with a scrunchie.

Pulling back the covers on my bed, a crash of thunder booms right above me. Thunderstorms in the UK are very tame in comparison to what I've experienced when I've been in Australia. Over there, they've caused devastation multiple times. They're nothing like that here. I lie down but instantly feel... emptiness. I feel alone, but I know I'm not, Hero is right outside the door in the living room. I don't want to be alone, I don't want him sleeping out there on his own. Kicking the duvet off me with my feet, I climb out of bed and head towards the door, opening it very slightly; if he's gone back to sleep, don't wake him. My attention is pulled to the kitchen area, he's not on the couch, but getting himself a drink by the look of it.
"Hero?" I ask, softly. He turns around, the glass still in his hand as I walk out of my room, leaving the door just ajar. His green orbs scan me from a distance, I do the same, he's just in his boxers. Even from a distance, I can see his chiselled, muscular form. I fold my arms across my chest, feeling awkward at what I want, wondering whether it's a good idea or not.
"What's up?" his voice is barely above a whisper. I walk over to him, feigning confidence - you want it, take it, Jo. When I reach him, I take his hand in mine, feeling that familiar spark between the two of us and I guide him to my bedroom with me. I just need him with me, right here, right now. Hero's all I need.
"Come to bed with me?" my voice matches him from before, I can barely hear myself. So many thoughts are crashing through my mind. I must be crazy, this could change things... But would that be a bad thing? Is it wrong of me to think that it's not? He doesn't say anything which worries me, but those worries are cast aside when I hear an 'uh huh' from Hero as his 'okay'.

I carry myself to my bed, Hero stays by the door, his hand tightly on the handle. Is he okay? I remain sat up, watching him, waiting for him to join me.
"You're sure?" his back is still turned to me. My voice seems to have run away from me, so I just repeat his hum of 'uh huh' and pat the empty side of the bed, inviting him in. When he reaches the other side, he still seems a million miles away from me, I just need him here with me. Making room for himself, he pulls the duvet back and eases himself into my bed, pulling the lowered duvet over both of us. As he nestles down to a comfortable position on his back, I roll onto my side to face him and place my head on his warm, inviting chest, my arms laying themselves above his head and across his torso. Hearing his heartbeat right here is music to my ears, such a steady rhythm to drift off to.

I notice he doesn't do anything with his arms, this worries me slightly now I've got myself comfy on him.
"Is this okay?" he doesn't say anything at first, but folds his arms around me, enveloping me in his strong arms. I feel so safe, nothing can happen to me or our baby, not when we're with him.
"Jo, look at me," I lift my head slowly to meet Hero's gaze. His warm hand places itself on my cheek, which I mould myself into. This was a great idea, Jo. I see him start to lean down to me for our lips to meet, so I tilt my head up to meet him halfway and place my hand equally on his soft cheek, holding him to me as our lips collide with one another's. My hands move upwards to hold Hero to me with his long locks. By God, I hope he keeps his hair like this. I pull him closer to me, my lips separating with his in perfect unison, like a well-choreographed dance that's been practised thousands of times. I feel shivers run down my spine, tingles remaining at the base causing a fire to ignite in the pit of my stomach. My hand makes its way onto his stomach, the muscles contorting under my hands as we move with one another.