Chapter 5: The Garden

Author's Note: This chapter is fairly short, but the next few should be longer. To anyone who sees this, I hope you're enjoying my story. I know it's far from perfect. I'll appreciate any suggestions to improve!

Ahsoka stood there, touching her forehead as a headache flared. She squeezed her eyes shut. 

What is going on? 

She stumbled slightly as a wave of dizziness overcame her, and would have fallen if someone hadn't grabbed onto her arms, hoisting her back up.

"What's wrong, Ahsoka?" a voice asked quietly.

Ahsoka forced her eyes open. It took her a moment to realize she was looking at Rex. How had he gotten back over here?

"Nothing, I'm okay. I just sensed something, but it's gone now." It was true, whatever the feeling was, it had gone. Ahsoka still felt dizzy, but it wasn't as bad as before.

"You sure?" Rex was still holding onto her arms but released her when she nodded.

Jett had appeared next to her, for the third time that night. "Are you alright, Ashla? I saw you stumble."

"Yes, I'm fine. I just need some fresh air."

"You may accompany me to the garden if you would like."

"Yes, thank you. Just give me a moment to talk to my bodyguard."

"I'll be waiting for you."

As soon as Jett was out of earshot, Ahsoka spoke quietly to Rex. "This should only take a few minutes. I just need some fresh air."

Rex frowned. "I don't think you should go alone. Kid, you just passed out. And, you don't know this Jett. This isn't a good idea."

"Rex, come on. You're starting to sound like Skyguy." Ahsoka frowned. "What do you mean, I passed out? I just fell for a moment."

"Ahsoka, I don't know if you realize this, but you were out for at least a minute. I was ready to call the generals."

"Really, Rex, I'm fine!"

Rex sighed. "Fine. But you still need to be on the lookout. The crime lord could attack you."

"He doesn't know our identities, Rex. He has no reason to attack us. Besides," Ahsoka smirked, "I can take care of myself."

"Believe me, I know," he said with a half-grin. "Just . . . be careful."

"When am I not?"

Rex rolled his eyes.

"See you in a few minutes, Rexter. I'll just be gone long enough to clear my head."

Anakin had stopped paying attention to the world around him; he was completely lost in the dance. He was abruptly brought back to reality, however, when he saw movement out of the corner of his eye. Ahsoka was going outside. Anakin stopped suddenly, and Padmé barely regained her footing.

"Sorry, Padmé. But where's Ahsoka going?"

Padmé looked to where Ahsoka left. "I don't know."

"Let's go ask Rex." Anakin half-ran to Rex, who appeared to be deep in thought. They reached him in moments.

"Rex, what's going on? Where's Ahsoka going?"

"She said she needed to clear her head, sir. She nearly passed out a moment ago." Anakin could see that Rex wasn't telling the whole story, but he let it slide.

"She passed out? Is she hurt?" Anakin cursed himself for not paying attention to his padawan. Ahsoka had told him about her bad feelings, and he had ignored her.

"I don't think so, sir. I was able to stop her fall."

"Well, thanks, Rex." Anakin narrowed his eyes at the door. "Did she go alone?"

"I believe that Jett kid went with her."

"We should go after her," Anakin decided. "I don't trust that kid."

He was about to march after his padawan, but then he felt Padmé's gentle hand on his arm.

"Ani, trust her instincts. I know she trusts yours."

Anakin sighed but placed his hand on top of hers. Rex pretended not to notice, but even he couldn't mask his surprised expression.

Ahsoka and Jett walked side by side in the gardens. They were alone. Even though most of the environment was artificial, like the sky, Ahsoka felt so peaceful. She inhaled, closing her eyes and relaxing as her head immediately cleared. See? Told you I was fine, Rexter.

"Do you like it here?" Jett asked.

"Yes, it's beautiful! I've missed the quiet. Coruscant can be so loud." Ahsoka covered her near slip-up. Thank goodness Coruscant was loud; she didn't know how she would explain the loudness of battles to Jett. Ahsoka sighed. This was going to be harder than she thought.

"Me too. It almost reminds me of Shili."

Ahsoka looked up excitedly. "You're from Shili too?"

Jett smiled faintly. "I am. I only moved here recently, after my family was captured by the Separatists."

Ahsoka knew what happened to Separatist prisoners. "I'm so sorry, Jett! I didn't know." 

Hesitantly, she put a hand on his shoulder.

"It's alright." He turned to fully face her. "I am so glad I met you, Ashla. It's been a while since I've really been able to talk to someone."

"You're not so bad yourself," Ahsoka replied. She realized how close they were standing, and her heartbeat sped up.

Jett continued, his voice barely reaching her montrals, "Which is why I am truly sorry about this."

Suddenly, Ahsoka felt pain race all over her body, a far too familiar feeling. Electricity. Ahsoka tried to shout for help, but she couldn't even move.

Taking hold of her, Jett gently lowered her to the ground. His eyes were sad, and the last thing she saw was his mouth from the words, "I'm sorry."