Chapter Five

"URGH. What am I supposed to get Kong for his 18th birthday?" Arthit grumbled, slumping himself down onto the canteen table next to Knott. "He has everything!"

"You could put a bow on your head and present yourself as a present. I'm sure he'd love that." Bright piped up.

A chunk of flying basil chicken hit Bright on his right cheek as Arthit continued his assault, catapulting more pieces his way.

"You know he's right." Tootah added on as he stole the chunks that landed on Bright's plate.

"I can't gift myself to him!"

"Why not?"

"I.. I just can't! We're not like that!" No sooner were the words out, Arthit began to regret them. Who was he kidding? He didn't believe them, how was he going to convince anyone else that what was between them was simply platonic. Not that he wanted it to be. But they could never be like that. Could they?

"He's never asked, you know? We. We never said. We." And he couldn't finish his sentence and just buried his face in his palms, food forgotten.

"Hey. Hey, it's okay." Knott patted Arthit on the shoulder, sensing his distress. "Let's start with what did you get him last year."

"Shoes." Arthit supplied lamely. "He wanted a new pair."

"You bought him shoes? Don't you know you can't buy your lover shoes? They'll run away!" Bright interjected, inappropriately.

But Arthit already knew that. He had secretly written his name under the insoles of the pair of sneakers he had gotten Kongpob last year. It wasn't like he believed in the old wives' tale. But it wasn't like he wanted to take the chances either. He also made Kongpob give him ฿1 before giving him his present. Just in case. He didn't tell Kongpob why though. The latter didn't need to know. The boy would just have gotten under his skin with his gloating.

Tootah snorted. "As if Kongpob would leave. We couldn't get him to leave even if we wanted to. How long has it been since we've had a night out?"

Arthit opened his mouth to rebute, but quickly closed it again as the blush crept up his face.

He knew that Kongpob only left his side when well, never. He didn't think anyone could pry that younger guy away from his side.

Groaning, he buried his face in his palms once again. "Guys, could we please focus on the problem at hand?"

"How about something you know," Prem gestured a little, "to show your feelings for him then. He likes that kind of sappy shit." He paused for a little while, and then added on, "how about a card?"

"I can't just give him a card. It is his 18th birthday! It's supposed to be meaningful."

"Well, he once told me it wasn't the card that was the present. It's the message that goes into it." Prem casually explained.

"Wait, who did you write a card for?" Bright rounded on his friend, sensing something amiss.

Everyone turned to stare at the usually fierce and hot headed guy who was suddenly at a loss for words. Awkward silence surrounded the group as they waited for an answer.

"Wad." Prem huffed, after he realised they weren't going to let it go.

More silence ensued before chortles of laughter filled the place. "I knew something was up!" Bright bounced around excitedly.

"We're supposed to be focusing on Arthit's problem, not me guys." Prem deadpanned, trying to distract the rest of his group to the problem they were supposed to be tackling.