17 | jesus would be so proud

[ 17 ]

[ 17 ]

C O R A

"Yes dad, I'm alright --- no, Noah's not here yet. There's nothing to worry about."

Dad sighs on the other end of the phone and I could mentally picture him pinching the bridge of his nose. I had just filled him in with the latest updates and Eugene's condition had put him to shock. I didn't know he had known Eugene Cooper before I did. What I also didn't know was that, Eugene's dad had once been his grad school roommate.

Naturally, I was surprised. But Mrs. Cooper found him on the roadside --- I had asked him, to which Dad had said its partly true, there are stuff people don't speak about. I didn't know what to say to that but I make a note to ask him for details later tonight.

"I'll call you later, I think the doctor's here." I add before hanging up.

My eyes travel to Rhys who was sitting on one of the steel armchairs, face buried in the palm of his hands. Part of me felt bad for the guy. From what I had learnt last night, I could easily conclude that he was terribly lonely. And the present situation was just too much for him to handle. I wanted to give him a hug but considering the kind of moment we had --- whatever it was --- I put an end to my thoughts.

I couldn't say I knew the guy as much as Noah did. But there was something about him that was drawing me in.

He wasn't even close to the kind of guys I liked. He was pretty much the opposite of myself to be very honest. And ---

"Coraline!!!"

"Oh sorry, I just zoned out" I manage, Riley's jet black eyes observing me skeptically as she stands exactly two feet taller than me.

I hadn't noticed when she had arrived, along with Luna and Nathaniel. I couldn't understand what was Nathan doing here --- I knew he was prone to getting triggered and even the slightest bit of stress would make him panic but I guess he shared some sort of friendship with Eugene that was stronger than that.

"That doctor's hot" Luna remarks, earning a glare from Riley.

"Since when are you into boys?" Nathan snorts.

"I said that on general human observation terms" She rolls her eyes, running a hand through her auburn hair to set it back to perfection.

Even though I didn't like Luna Flynn much yet I couldn't help but admire how put together she looked with her ruby red lips standing out.

Dr. Davenport was engaged in a conversation with Mrs. Thurman, since Eugene's grandmother wasn't here yet and I figured it would be best to accompany Rhys. Partly because I wanted him to feel less lonely and partly because I was afraid of Luna's sudden snide comments on how other worldly I was.