01 | in the human league

[ 01 ]

[ 01 ]

C O R A

I was soaking myself in a bubble bath, nonchalantly picking on a terribly baked raisin cookie when she called. Not that I didn't expect it. It was just a little surprising that it came approximately ten minutes late, which is quite unusual for my always-punctual and strict mother, who for the matter of fact, is extremely mad at me.

"You have two days to start Fall semester. What are you, thirteen?" She yells as soon as I answer the call.

I automatically roll my eyes, putting the phone on speaker to prevent damaging my sensitive ear drums and get out of the tub. I knew this was coming.

"I am aware of that, mom! I'll be back by tomorrow, I promise." I tell her in the most convincing voice I could manage.

"Where are you? I have been asking this for the past three days, I don't want any vague answer this time." She asks, stern-mom-tone still intact.

"Mom, I'm alright here. I'm in Spain. España."

"What? You ─ you're unbelievable! And where in Spain exactly?" She fumes and I can almost hear her flaring her nostrils.

"Barcelona proper. Can I go now? I have a trip to the Picasso Museum today." I inform her as I hastily tie the laces of my worn out white sneakers.

"The next time you sneak out at midnight for some ridiculous solo trip, I'm disowning you!" She scolds.

"You know you can't do that." I laugh and she sighs in surrender.

"I love you mom, bye. See ya tomorrow!" I say quickly, dashing out of the hotel room before she gets a chance to start another pep talk.

My travel guide, Fernanda, was waiting at the lobby, chewing a gum, and flashes me a customer-friendly grin as I jog up to her.

"Buenos días, señorita. Ready?"

"Always." I chuckle as we set foot on the sunbathed cobblestone streets.

The azure canvas above looked heavenly ─ tiny clouds flailing across like ships on the Pacific and an occasional airplane overhead complimenting the gorgeous scenery.

I take a bite of the tortilla chip I was holding and offer the packet to Fernanda who politely declines the tempting offer. I mean, who says no to free food?!