32 | if by chance

[ 32 ]

[ 32 ]

C O R A

Five months fast forward into my life, its blooming spring in Adelaide as I lift my gaze up from the Google Maps app on my phone to look at the cherry trees lining both sides of the highway. The Uber driver grins, pointing at the vast stretches of lavender fields to the left and mutters something in his thick Aussie accent that takes me a minute to decipher. Oh how I wished Aunt Vanessa had come along!

"We're five minutes to the city center" I chirp, glancing at Rhys only to find his eyes on me.

"Still can't believe we're actually doing this" He grins, pulling me into a side hug. I return the gesture, gently resting my head on his shoulder.

"Me too, but I'm so glad!" I inhale, the autumn air (oh don't even get me started on the Southern hemisphere) rushing into my lungs through open windows.

The plan we made to visit Australia for spring break before Junior year of college engulfed us was even wilder than the last time I had sneaked out of my house for a solo trip. We were on our way home after our weekly golf sessions with our friend circle and Rhys had offered to drop me and Noah off when a sudden tour company advertisement showcasing their latest vacation packages mention Australia en route New Zealand pops up on the radio. I don't think twice before stating 'we should go' but like, in a 'totally kidding' tone --- and what surprises me the most is when Rhys blurts out 'count me in!' Everyone else already had other plans, so it narrows down to the two of us as if we were meant to be the only ones. And that is how we end up in a British Airways flight, mess up with the timing for our second flight in New Zealand, almost lose my luggage at the checkout and also manage to make best friends with a Kiwi co-passenger --- Lillian --- travelling to the US to join her university.

"Do you wanna stop by the Dunkin's drive through maybe?" Rhys questions, bringing me out of my thought process.

"Sure, but mind you --- this is the only time I'm taking a break from campaigning for Starbucks" I joke and he chuckles, scratching the light stubble on his chin.

"Well, not gonna lie, its kind of overrated, the place you work for I mean" He shrugs and I roll my eyes playfully.

"But you can't deny that I'm the best barista you ever met" I retort as the Uber pulls up before the counter where we place our respective orders --- an iced matcha latte with almond milk for me and a vanilla cold brew for Rhys.

"You're the best everything I ever met" He smiles, quickly pecking me on the side of my forehead, his warm fingers brushing back a few strands of hair as I flash him the widest grin. He didn't even have to try to make my heart melt like butter.

It takes us approximately twenty more minutes to pull into the Davenport driveway where the old couple we were expecting awaited us with flashy smiles (which my Aunt would call 'customer-friendly' instead) and greet us with warm hugs as soon as we get down the Uber. No wonder Aunt Vanessa's parents were as sophisticated as herself --- from the vintage 1990 Range Rover parked in their open front garage to the carefully trimmed rose shrubs lining the lawn, everything was top tier, perfect.

"You must be Coraline" Beatrice Davenport smiles, the carbon copy smile I'm used to seeing back in London.

"Its a pleasure to meet you" I say as she releases me from the embrace.

"Do you guys want to visit the Clevelands now or should I just drive you in the evening?" Mr. Davenport asks, adjusting his blue US Polo Association T-shirt.

"Evening sounds fine" I nod, exchanging a glance with Rhys who I knew was starving since he detested airplane food but was too shy to say it to the elderly couple.

The Davenports usher us inside soon after we had paid off the Uber and on our way to the dining hall I hear Mr. Davenport mutter, "She has got Ezekiel's eyes", to which his wife whispers, "Oh of course she does!"

It wasn't anything I was hearing for the first time but it felt strangely delightful and made me sad at the same time that I wasn't fortunate enough to see that myself. Rhys, who was seated just beside me at the lunch table, had probably sensed what I was thinking about and gives my hand a light squeeze before returning his attention to the Australian cricket conversation he was having with Mr. Davenport.

During the rest of lunch, I talk about how I had accidentally met Connor --- Dr. Connor Davenport --- and how he was the one who performed the surgery on Eugene. Beatrice's ocean eyes gleam as she speaks of him, like the proud mother she was (albeit a step-mom) and I wondered why Aunt Vanessa thought of her otherwise. Guess that was another eighteen year old secret they had decided to bury. The older lady also tells me of how Connor had a life-threatening accident back when he was still in middle school. She falls silent mid-sentence, when she realizes I already knew about it. And also the fact that my biological father had been the one behind it all.

When evening falls and the sky is painted in lilac and bubblegum pink, Mr. Davenport gives us the detailed directions to the Cleveland Residence since we insist that he need not accompany us for the visit. Rhys takes the wheel, driving slow but steady as I continue to scroll down Google Maps again.

My grandparents apparently lived in a quaint little Japanese style bungalow surrounded by Eucalyptus trees and similar looking houses in a neighborhood called Huntington Avenue, a fifteen minutes drive from the Davenports. 

"So this is it then. Go ahead, mademoiselle" Rhys sighs, tapping his fingers on the steering wheel. My stomach churns, the anxiety of walking into that house alone made me want to run back to the airport and board the first flight to London. But I was not raised a quitter. I had to go in and face them, no matter how cold and numb I felt. I wished Noah had accompanied me but my twin would rather travel to Mars than come here with me.

"You're not gonna go in? This is the same house your dad lived in before the accident isn't it?" I ask, shifting uneasily in the leather seat.

"Mhmm, indeed and that is why I don't know --- I just don't want to ---- what, why're you pouting like that?" He snickers, leaning forward to find my lips.

"Remember what I was gonna do if you ever forget 'whatever we shall do, we do together?'" I perk up an eyebrow, hinting at the little pact that we had made on one of our many stargazing dates.

"Well, well, I'll accompany you, fine! Promise I won't forget it. And, if by chance I do --- you're free to dump me into the Pacific while we fly back to London" He laughs, helping me unbuckle my seatbelt, "And Cora?"

"And what?"

"And I love you."

a/n: ladies and gentlemen, curtains close!!! this is where rhys and cora's story comes to an end perhaps. i honestly didn't think i was capable of  completing this by the end of 2021 but guess I ACTUALLY DID!! to everyone who decided to stick with me to the end of this story (which again, needs major editing) --- I LOVE YOU! TO THE MOON AND BACK! <3

that being said, i might as well begin a new book if time permits, in 2022. i'm hella excited about it (seriously, y'all should have a look at my drafts!) anyway, stay safe and stay cool! see u on the other side! *cheers*