twelve

valentina
-

The next morning after I had my talk with Sophia. I decided it would be the right time to talk to all three of my girls together about Evie and the accident she was in.

Sophia had been so overwhelmed with emotions last night that I couldn't bring myself to spring all the information about the accident on her. She looked so tired and stressed over talking about the past. I just didn't want to worsen her state so, I helped Sophia get into bed after we were done talking and I had calmed her down a bit.

I remembered to text Britt about what happened and she advised me that we would talk more about it during our lunch break at work on Monday.

Currently I was hovering over the stove making breakfast for the kids with bags under my eyes from a lack of sleep. My hands shook each time I tried to drink from my coffee cup and my lips dried out even after I applied a thin coat of lip balm to them.

I was starting to stress myself out over this entire Evie situation. I'm not sure it's healthy or meant to be part of the process. But I feel like shit.

"Good morning mommy!" Vivi announced as she made her presence suddenly known in the kitchen. I jumped with a slight gasp and accidentally tossed a half cooked pancake onto the floor.

"Good morning my love." I greeted her back with a small smile while I inwardly sighed due to having to kneel down and clean up my mess. "Where are your sisters?"

"Nani is using the bathroom and Sophia-"

"-is right here. Good morning mother." Sophia said entering the kitchen and giving her little sister's hair a gentle ruffle. Vivi grinned and watched Sophia closely trying to mimic the way her big sister stood beside her. This was a new thing Vivi started to do that I thought was so cute.

I huffed at the word 'mother' and stood up right after wiping the floor. "Can you stop calling me that, please? It comes across as being disrespectful."

"Can I have my car keys back?" Sophia asked while raising an eyebrow.

"We've already been over this Sophia. You can have your keys back when you turn sixteen and have an actual driver's license." I replied with a firm tone. Sophia did the infamous eye roll that seemed to run in the family and walked away to grab the jug of orange juice out of the fridge.

Once I was done cooking breakfast for everyone we sat down together and ate as a family in the sun room. There was a small dining table placed in there with five chairs. Nani and Vivi loved eating in this room on weekends because they were able to watch the birds eat from the bird feeder they had picked out with Evie during the first month of us living in this house.

"Are you all done?" I asked Nani while clearing my throat. The nine year old nodded, wiping her mouth with the folded napkin from her lap.

I stood from my chair to gather her dirty dish along with everyone else's and placed them on top of each other to make a small pile in the middle of the table. "Before you girls go off and get ready for the day. I wanna talk to you about something important, ok?" I sat back down in my chair taking in a short deep breath. Seeing Sophia give me a slight side eye.

"Are we moving?!" Vivi asked in a panic with a milk stache on her upper lip. I chuckled grabbing her a napkin and leaned over to help her clean her mouth. "No, my love. We're not moving." I replied to her.

"Good because I love it here and I can't leave my birds behind." Vivi explained with an exasperated sigh. I grinned while placing my elbows on the table with clasped hands and resting my chin on them.

"I actually wanted to talk to you girls about someone you might remember." I said eyeing the three of them. Mostly Sophia who became stone faced and stared at the dishes piled in the middle of the table that leaned slightly like the tower of pisa.