fifteen

valentina
-

"And get me the headshots again of that one model we used for last spring's campaign." I said walking and replying to a text at the same time. Britt was a step behind me taking notes on her ipad. Following me back to my office after we had just gotten out of a meeting with the fashion director.

"Got it. Do you need anything else?" Britt asked as we stopped in the middle of the lobby. Everyone was currently leaving to lunch in swarms that circled around us to get out the front doors.

I sighed looking up from my phone and shook my head, "No, thank you Britt."

The brunette hugged her ipad to her chest and tilted her head to the side a bit. "Look I know we talked about everything already that went on with the kids and stuff. But I'm still here if you need to rant even if it's about something else." A thin smile appeared on my lips acknowledging Britt's kind offer.

Since talking to her about my situation with Evie and the kids reactions to finding out Evie has memory loss. Britt has stepped up and started checking in on me more. She knew better than to wait until I came to her for help. A bad habit of mine was keeping things in so I wouldn't be a burden to anyone else and dump all of my troubles on them.

"I know. But I'm fine, Britt. Go on your lunch break, I'm taking a late one today." I replied to her.

"Okay, holler if you need anything." Britt said before walking towards the cafeteria.

I turned to leave in the opposite direction but quickly stopped in my tracks when I saw a familiar woman standing in the lobby. She was looking around and moving in small steps with a large sketchpad and pencil in hand.

My eyes narrowed for a few seconds then widened when I realized where I remembered her from

My eyes narrowed for a few seconds then widened when I realized where I remembered her from. The woman's hair was longer now from how I last saw her. Which was three years ago when I had to fly out of town for work.

I flipped my hair over my shoulder and walked her way to see what exactly she was doing here.

Her ears must have picked up on the clicks of my heels because her head lifted from her sketchpad, and her dark eyes connected with mine. A bright smile appeared on her face but I didn't return it for reasons that were only obvious to me.

The only thought that appeared in my mind when I saw this woman was that she was either here to spy for the company she worked for, or she was a crazy stalker that finally decided to make an appearance.

"What are you doing here Selah?" I asked right away. The smile on the woman's face dimmed down a bit. "Nice to see you too, and I'm working."

My brows knitted together and I looked down to eye her sketchpad that had a light gray sketch of the lobby. "What do you mean you're working? You don't work here." Selah tucked her pencil into the spring of her sketchpad and closed the book.

"I do now, at least temporarily." She replied with a gentle smile. "I quit my last job for the one I have now as a freelance artist. I was hired to create a few pieces of artwork for the lobby and some of the other floors. I was told you guys were getting some renovations done so I guess whoever hired me wanted some fresh artwork." Selah continued with an added shrug.