nineteen

*italics represent flashbacks

evie
-

"Evie?" Nayelli called out from behind my bedroom door. I stayed quiet while still lying in bed in my pajamas that I have been wearing for the past two days.

After the last work day of the week had come and gone, I was adamant on staying secluded in my own room and away from my friends until my racing mind had calmed down. So far the only interaction I've had with anyone was very little banter over dinner with Nayelli.

That was two days ago.

Since then I've only come out of my room to grab some water. My hunger has subsided all together since closing myself up and being more consumed in my thoughts about everything going on with my friends and Valentina then expected.

Originally I thought if I did this that I would be able to journal, read, or sleep my thoughts off.

But my body laid in the bed I never attempted to make. Curled in a fetal position and wrapped in the blanket that my aunt had made for me as a child. Typically I kept it up in a safe place somewhere but I needed comfort and this was my only way of getting it at the moment.

"Evie, can I come in? I made dinner. I know you probably don't want to talk but I really need you to eat. I'm worried about you because you've refused to come out of your room for two days now."

I sighed softly and gave in to Nayelli's desperate voice. "Come in." I replied feeling my jaw tingle from moving more than an inch. My voice was scratchy from a dry throat that hadn't been replenished in a couple of hours from the small sips of water I had been taking.

The doorknob turned and I heard the door to my room open.

"I made soup and grilled cheese with the dairy free one you keep in the fridge." Nai said considerably. I felt the bed dip and something heavy like a tray be set next to me. "Figured it was the perfect meal for a cozy and rainy fall evening."

Outside of my room I could see her description perfectly. Droplets of rain hitting the window pane and the trees billowing in the distance of the backyard. It wasn't night time yet but the sun was gone and the sky was dark and gray.

Normally weather like this had me baking fresh cinnamon rolls or an apple pie.

But at the moment all this weather did was make me want to cry and shut the blinds. It added a heavier effect on how I'm feeling already.

"Please eat, Evie." Nai begged with the placement of her hand on my shoulder.

I turned over onto my back and slowly sat up. Feeling every part of my body tingle and ache from laying in the same position for so long. "Thank you, Nai." I said looking down at the tray of food my roommate had brought me.

My hunger still wasn't there but I made the effort to put up a show and sit against the headboard of my bed to eat with the tray in my lap.

Nayelli stayed quiet as I began to eat the flavorful and hot tomato soup. But I knew she was only quiet so she could conjure up the courage to start asking questions about what is wrong with me.

I licked my bottom lip to suppress the burning feeling from the soup and looked up from my lap to see Nayelli staring at me in concern. "Evie, I know it's not my place to ask but..does this have anything to do with your ex?"

I dropped my spoon in the bowl and stared back at the woman with a narrowed look. "Who told you about my ex?" I asked in a serious voice.

"Alyson and Isabelle. I don't really know your other friends enough to reach out to them. You've been acting off all week and honestly since the birthday party so, I reached out to Alyson and Isabelle to ask them if they knew anything about your ex. Or to see if there was anything I could do to help." Nayelli replied with a bit of guilt on her face.