twenty-two

tw: mentions of violence, blood, and sexual assault
*a/n: this one is quite long, and emotionally draining for me. so just be aware if you're as sensitive as i am, and feel free to read this twice or take breaks <3

val
-

"Just breathe and calm down for a second, Valentina." Selah said, still trying to shove a glass of water into my hands. I huffed and pushed her hand away for the fifth time and started walking away from her again.

After I rushed out of the house and went well over the speed limit to get here in a surprisingly safe fashion without a ticket.

Selah showed up minutes later to find me and make sure I hadn't committed a murder, yet.

Britt was back at the house getting the twins and Sophia settled at my mom's house. But the last I heard, Britt texted me saying she was having a tough time leaving Sophia behind. The teen insisted on coming with her to find me and at this point I was so encased in anger towards someone else that I didn't spare the time to parent.

I walked around the large mansion that the gala was being held at. Bumping shoulders with strangers that I could care less about apologizing to.

My hunt for Baylor had come to a slight halt since Selah got here and proceeded to get in the way of me looking for the despicable woman.

I sighed heavily, stopping in my tracks again as Selah stepped in front of me. "Val, I know you're angry and feeling a lot of other emotions right now. But this isn't the time or place to confront her. You're here for work and the company is relying on you to represent them. Don't let Baylor ruin that for you. You know all she wants is to see you crash and burn."

Her eyes looked into mine pleading for me to listen to her.

I rolled my eyes at her how persuasive she is and stopped the hunt. "Fine. I won't go looking for her until this shit is over. But if I see the bitch anywhere then all of that goes out the window."

Selah frowned and nodded, then grabbed my arm to lead me to one of the tables that surrounded the dance floor. I sat down with a grumpy grumble of words and drank the refreshing water Selah got for me earlier.

We sat in silence as the flames inside of me continued to set ablaze to every part of my body.

Growing bigger and brighter as I watched a certain blonde be at the side of the headmistress of an elementary school. The two engrossed in a conversation with a couple who appeared to be twice their age.

Hearty laughs emptied their bellies and the blonde's eyes curved upwards when she smiled kindly at the older couple who were rather touchy with placing their hands on her shoulders.

The dress she was wearing mimicked that of a storybook character, or a Disney princess.

A grin fought to appear on my lips as I recalled telling Evie that I was dating Disney princess after I caught her dancing and singing in Sophia's hospital room with the twins. She was twirling around in a fluffy dress that I knew she loved so much.

Her style wasn't my own personal taste. But on her, the frilly or long dresses, skirts, grandma knit sweaters, and sometimes over the top blouses were the most attractive thing ever.

The past memories of Evie and her outfits swept across my mind putting out some of the flames that were fueled by jealousy. Just the thought alone of this woman always brought me back to my calm place even during the most intense times.

"Go talk to her." Selah said, catching my attention.

I withdrew my eyes for a moment away from where Evie was and to the brunette that was grinning at me subtly. I pressed my lips together and shook my head. "No. Not until I settle this shit with Baylor."