sixteen

valentina
-

"Is she hot?" Britt asked about Selah

"Is she hot?" Britt asked about Selah. It was Saturday and I had decided to invite Britt over to have a pool day with me and the girls. Sophia insisted on inviting Devin over too and I agreed since her behavior over the past week has improved tremendously.

"Why do you always go straight to asking that when I mention any woman?" I scoffed sitting down on the lounge chair and lying back.

"Because I'm tired of meeting women through dating apps. So is she hot or not?" Britt huffed out, turning her head to the side to look at me. I turned my head too and looked at her through my dark sunglasses. "She is. But I don't think she's your type."

"How do you know that? You still barely know her." Britt replied with a higher pitch. I grinned and looked towards the pool where Nani and Vivi were sliding down together on the slide. Shortly after their eighth birthday I got them into swimming lessons. Mostly as an extra precaution to prevent an incident from happening.

Since then the twins have always wanted to jump in the pool and swim everyday.

"Because she's creative and into art, at least that's how she appears to be. And you hate all of that stuff if I remember correctly." Though I wasn't looking at her, I knew Britt had rolled her eyes at me. "Well is she at least fun to hang out with? Does she drink? Party? Do crack? I need to know these things before I allow this to become a threesome."

Devin had unfortunately walked by at the wrong time when Britt was talking and gave us a little side eye while trying to hide her laugh.

I sighed and picked a grape out of the bowl next to me and threw it at Britt. "Can you talk a little quieter? Or at least be careful with your wording? My nanny just heard you and she's still a child."

The brunette did an obnoxious laugh and looked in the direction of where Devin and Sophia were in the backyard. "Sorry. But she's in high school Val, don't act like you didn't know what a threesome was back then. I'm sure you were part of one at some point with Yolei." I glared at Britt and she took it as a sign to stop talking.

"Anyways, no I don't know any of those things. That's why I invited her to go dress shopping with us for that charity banquet happening soon. I figured we could get to know her together and we all get lunch while we're out too."

Giggling came from the side of the pool and I saw Devin chasing after Sophia in the pool.

"Wait, is she going to the banquet also?" Britt asked, sitting up in her lounge chair and facing my side. I nodded and reached beside me to grab my water and take a generous sip from the cup.

"We've been talking during my breaks at work and went to lunch again yesterday. She's really nice and I enjoy her company. So I invited her to be my plus one at the banquet. I figured it would be good for her to get out and meet some new people, maybe potential clients in the future. Can't imagine moving to a new city alone and with a new job where it's just you and your paint brushes."