The Tunnel

Chapter: 01

The winds were restless as the leaves stirred. The sky was gray now that the clouds had taken over the sun. Traffic noise blared as per usual. The roads were busy as people were either going to work, college, or school.

The wind stirred an orange leaf as it fell from a tree and got pushed further before touching the ground and getting crushed under a teenage brunette's shoe. She kept on walking forward with her hands in the pockets of her coat until she reached her destination.

She ran her gaze wearily at the crowd going in and out before sighing and walking again. She pushed her way through the crowd and walked into the school building. She walked further until she was at her locker and reluctantly, pulled her hand out of her pocket to unlock the locker. The hallway was as noisy as the roads were but a certain voice caught her attention, causing her to smile.

“Hey, Kylee!” She turned her head to the energetic blonde coming her way whose blue eyes were sparkling more than usual. “I have great news!”

Before the perky teenager could say anything, Kylee's view was blocked by a pair of pale male hands. She grinned as she recognized them. “Zack.” The guy standing behind her came in sight and leaned on one of the lockers. His dark hair was tousled and there were small bags under his gray eyes which were proof that he was up late, helping his sister with math.

“You got me.”

“Oh, never mind your games! Guess what happened?!”

Kylee raised an eyebrow. “You got accepted into the cheerleading squad?” she guessed.

“Yes!” She jumped, grinning. Kylee and Zack flinched. “Finally, I—”

“Hey, Stella.”

Stella shrieked and jumped as three pairs of eyes landed on the person responsible for getting that high-pitched shriek up her throat. He looked at them blankly. Of all four of them, he had it the easiest to maintain relationships. With his graceful features, sharp jaw, green eyes, perfect light brown hair, and admirable skills in all sports, any girl could fall for him easily, although his brain development was a little behind.

“Miles!” Stella pouted angrily as she slapped the jock's arm.

“Hey!” Miles said rubbing his hand over the spot. “It's far too early to be getting hits from you.”

“It's pretty early to scare the hell out of people too!”

“Cool it! You and I are gonna have a little walk in the park after school, okay?” Kylee told Stella who rolled her eyes.

“Okay, listen. I got a C on my history test!” Miles said, grinning. Kylee raised an eyebrow.

Zack patted his shoulder, “Congratulations, buddy,” Miles grinned, not quite understanding Zack’s sarcasm.

“Hey,” said a voice from behind them. They all turned their heads to acknowledge the freckled girl with light brown hair.

“Kristen?” Kylee spoke to the girl who shared chemistry classes with her and Zack.

“Could you four come to my fund-raiser? I mean, I think we might get more people if there is a jock—” she gestured to Miles. “—and a cheerleader—” she gestured to Stella. “—and you guys could come for support,” she spoke to Zack and Kylee.

“And where is this fund-raiser?” Kylee inquired.

“I’ll text you the location,” Kristen said and walked away.

*

“This is the middle of nowhere,” Stella said casting a look around her surroundings.

The four of them were standing near a shore and behind them was the stony wall of a tall cliff. The breeze felt good because of the waves there but it truly was the middle of nowhere.