Threat

Chapter: 11

The music blared around her surroundings. Someone near her screamed and Kylee flinched at the sound. Constantly going on missions and training hard had stiffened her posture so no one could manage to push past her to get a better look at the stars on the stage but it was still a constant effort.

"Sorry, I didn't realize it would be this loud and congested," Wyatt spoke in her ear.

"It's a concert, of course, it would've been loud," she said and then sighed. Maybe the concert wasn't the place she wanted to be tonight. Studying for the test and going on missions had exhausted her and this noise and crowd was the last thing she needed. She could barely even hear the song over the shouts of the crowd.

She felt Wyatt take her hand and turn around going through the people to get out. She was thankful for her lean figure through which she could easily slip past the people. During the constant effort of getting out, something caught her eye. It was a pair of hazel eyes and hooded features. Kylee could tell by the figure that it was a woman but she couldn't see over the dark. When she tried to squint to get a better look, the woman spotted her and mixed herself into the crowd.

"What's wrong?" she heard Wyatt ask her.

She shook her head, "Nothing, I just thought I saw someone."

"Who?"

"I-I don't know. I just... I don't know, I thought I saw..." she squinted over the crowd to find the woman again but was unable to do so. "It must've been my imagination." Wyatt nodded as he helped her get through the crowd.

When they finally reached the end, both of them sighed in relief.

"Well, that was certainly fun," Kylee said sarcastically. Wyatt sighed.

"I'm sorry, I didn't realize it would be this bad," he sounded genuinely sorry. Kylee sighed.

"It's okay. I guess with all the work I just wanted to be somewhere quiet," she said and turned to the crowd, thinking she might see that woman again. She didn't.

"The night's still young, though," Wyatt said, grinning. Kylee raised an eyebrow at him as he took her hand and walked toward the car.

"Where are we going now?" she asked as they sat in the car. She was looking forward to this date but the concert had exhausted her.

"Not to a concert," he said, looking sideways at her. Kylee furrowed her eyebrows but didn't say anything as he started driving.

On the way, Kylee couldn't help but think about the woman she saw at the concert. She had this look in her eyes, which made Kylee think that she had recognized her. It was a look of longing mixed with pride. She didn't know why the woman was looking at her with pride, as if she was something she owned.

"You okay?" Wyatt's voice brought her out of her reverie. Kylee nodded. "You don't look okay."

"I'm just tired, Wyatt. That's it," she pressed, her voice giving a hint to let him know that she wanted the matter dropped. He sighed but didn't say anything.

With her head against the cold window, Kylee closed her eyes. She let her thoughts wander around, thinking of anything and everything. She would've dozed off if she didn't hear Wyatt's voice after a few minutes.

"We're here," he muttered. Kylee opened her eyes and was surprised at the sight that was revealed.

They were at a star-gazing spot. They both got out of the car and went up the grassy hill. The breeze that blew past Kylee soothed her nerves and made her relax somewhat. On the top of the hill, the night sky was completely clear. Ahead of them was a lake. Besides the moon's reflection in it, it looked almost black in the darkness of the night. The stars shimmered in the sky and Kylee had to admit that she had never seen anything more beautiful in her life.