We're In

Chapter: 02

Ready-to-go agents?” Kylee said, baffled. “What the hell is that?”

“Kylee, the man literally just explained us that,” Stella said and the four of them sighed together before looking at each other and grinning.

“What do we say?” Zack asked, having no idea what to do.

“I don’t know. I mean, we get to be agents, that’s pretty cool but… what about school?” Kylee asked.

“We have handled two things before, Kylee,” Miles said.

“And the man sounded like he really needed us,” Stella added.

“I kind of want to do it,” Zack said as the others raised an eyebrow at him. “Oh, come on! Someone actually appreciated my intelligence.”

“I say we give it a shot,” Stella said as she extended her fist to her friends. “I mean, I’ll only do it if you guys are in, so…” she waited for them. A moment later, Miles walked forward and joined his fist with Stella’s.

“I’m cool taking a few risks,” he said. Zack shrugged and joined them as well. Kylee looked at the three of them before grinning.

“Like I would stay back without you guys,” she walked forward and completed the circle.

When Mr. Brown returned to the room, they all pulled back their fists.

"So, have you made your decision?" He asked the four teenagers.

"We're in," Kylee replied for all of them. Mr. Brown looked at them with a smile.

"I knew I could count on you." Mr. Brown said. "Evin will show you your belongings in a few minutes." With that, he left the room.

Kylee and Stella started talking among themselves and Miles wandered off to examine the room.

Zack heard a few barks and felt something soft cuddle on his feet. He looked down to see a cute, brown puppy cuddling on his feet. He kneeled to pet the soft animal.

"Otis! There you are!" Zack heard a shout and looked up to see a brunette coming toward him. Or the dog. She had soft brown eyes and angular features. Her straight brown hair hung around the frame of her face and ended at her elbow. She wore the same black shirt with four gold stars on her shoulders. "Hi," she greeted Zack.

"Hey," Zack replied.

"Okay, I'm sorry, buddy," She spoke to the puppy. "Next time, I'll give you your snack on time." Then she turned to Zack. "Sorry about that."

"It's okay. He's a cute dude." Zack said.

"I'm Quinn," She introduced herself.

“I’m—”

“Zack,” she completed. He furrowed his eyebrows at her. “I know. Welcome to SSA.”

"Thanks," Zack muttered as they both pet the puppy together. "Where'd you get him?"

"Mr. Brown gave him to me on my eighth birthday," Quinn replied.

"Eighth birthday?" Zack asked. "How long have you been a secret agent?"

"Actually, I came here before I became a secret agent. My parents died in a car crash when I was four." Quinn said.

"I'm sorry," Zack said in a low voice.

"Yeah, Mr. Brown took me in after that,” she told him.

They both continued to pet the puppy until they heard a sneeze. They both turned and saw Autumn, her nose reddening. She knitted her eyebrows in confusion but deadpanned when she saw Quinn and Otis.

"Sorry," Quinn said nervously and picked Otis up. "She's allergic to dogs." She muttered to Zack and stood up. "Well, I'll see you around." He nodded and she left the room.

Zack felt a nudge on his arm and turned to see Kylee, "Come on. Evin is here." He nodded and the four of them followed a guy with light brown hair. He was about a foot shorter than Miles who was the tallest in the group of four and had had three golden stars on the shoulders of his black shirt.

They followed him to a different room. The four gazed around the room in admiration. There were three long tables each filled with different things. The table on the right had all kinds of weaponry from guns to belt knives. The table on the left had gear which included black tanks—feminine and masculine—leather pants and leather jackets. There were black boots with strong soles. The table in the middle had gadgets. There were wristwatches, tablets, computers, and some other devices which Kylee, Miles, and Stella knew only Zack could understand.

"Everything here belongs to you all," Evin told them. They all looked at him in disbelief.

"You mean ours?" Miles asked, shocked.

"No, the next-door neighbors," Evin said sarcastically. Miles rolled his eyes.

"So, what's with the weird watches?" He asked.

"They're not 'weird watches'. They're tracking devices and you will get mission alerts on them." Evin replied.

Kylee walked over to the third table where the suits were and gazed at the female suits.

"Those are your mission suits," Evin told Kylee. “They’ll protect you from ordinary injuries and they won’t restrict your movements when you fight.”

"Woah," Kylee muttered.

“We know Mr. Brown chose you all as ready-to-go agents but there are still a few tests that you need to pass.”

"What tests?" Kylee asked.

"Just some training tests. That'll include an obstacle course and a one-on-one battle." Evil explained.

"When is that?" Miles asked.

"In an hour. Mr. Brown has important work to do before that. Until the tests, you guys can check and distribute your weapons and gadgets." Evin said and excused himself to leave the room.

Kylee walked over to the weapons and picked up two pistols, "Zack, Miles," she said as she tossed one to Miles and the other to Zack. They both caught it and examined it.

Kylee picked up a throwing knife and flipped it in her hand. She aimed and threw the knife. It flew and stuck to the wall, an inch away from where Stella was standing. That startled Stella.

"What did I ever do to you?" Stella asked as she moved away from the knife.

Kylee smirked, "How long do you have?"

Zack and Miles snickered and first bumped while Stella rolled her eyes before moving towards the clothes which, Kylee knew, was the first thing she would notice when they came into the room. She sighed as they distributes the rest of the weapons.