Second Chance

Chapter: 09

Kylee sighed and turned around, “What the hell, Miles?! What were you thinking?! You let them slip through your fingers!” Miles closed his eyes and inhaled.

Zack struggled to get up and went to the others. Kylee helped him stand and Stella glared at Miles.

“Why didn’t you go after them? Why didn’t help Kylee fight them off?” Stella asked him. she and Kylee shared the same rage at that time. Kylee heard Zack sigh and nudged her. She looked at him in response. He gestured towards the alley and Kylee and Stella saw what distracted Miles.

It was Harper with another boy, a tall, blond boy. They were standing close and Harper seemed to be giggling at anything he said.

Kylee sighed and turned to Miles with a look of pity, “Miles…”

“I’m sorry. It’s my fault. I know. Let’s go back to the agency.” He said and got off the roof.

“I cannot believe Harper’s out with another boy at this time of night. She just broke up with Miles yesterday,” Stella said shaking her head.

Zack gripped Kylee’s shoulder as he suddenly lost balance and she helped him stand. “We gotta get you to the agency fast.”

They all mounted on their bikes and Kylee used one of Zack’s tracking chips on his bike, just in case. They started the bikes and rode away.

It was almost four in the morning. The air was cool as it slipped past Kylee, helping her relax somewhat. It blew back her brown hair and she took a deep breath, sucking the cold air into her lungs. Her cheeks felt cold against the wind. Her knuckles were white as her grip hardened on the bike’s handles.

Kylee sighed, not wanting to know what would happen next. They had never failed a mission; she felt terrible. But she knew it would’ve been bizarre to think that their every mission would be a success. She knew it was going to happen; she just wasn’t ready for it yet.

They reached the agency earlier than they’d assumed. Kylee had wanted the ride to last longer. It reminded her of a phrase she’d read in Harry Potter when she was younger. Time will not slow down when something unpleasant lies ahead.

They all dismounted and Zack’s vision suddenly blurred. Kylee and Stella noticed him getting imbalanced and quickly helped him get to the infirmary. He’d fallen unconscious before he even entered the agency. Miles helped the girls with him. Stella went to find Amelia as she wasn’t in her office, bumping into Tyler on the way.

“Is everything okay?” he asked. Even at this hour, there didn’t seem to be any sign of drowsiness on his face.

“Where’s Amelia? We need her fast. Zack’s already lost too much blood,” Stella told him.

“I think she went to the main kitchen to grab a cup of coffee. I’ll find the others and inform Mr. Brown,” they nodded at each other before heading in the opposite directions. Stella came to a halt when she realized what he’d said.

“Wait there’s a kitchen here?” she asked whirling around.

“Yeah, you didn’t know?” she shook her head. “Oh wait. You didn’t get a tour.” She shot him a look of disbelief. “You know what? You inform Mr. Brown. I’ll get Amelia.” As they both switched directions, their arms brushed against each other. But none of them took much notice of it.

Amelia was there as soon as she’d gotten the news. Mr. Brown, Autumn, Wyatt, Quinn, and Tyler were there as well. They all waited outside the infirmary as Amelia had told him. Kylee was anxious; not only had she failed a mission, but she was also close to losing Zack. You’re not gonna lose him, she reminded herself. He’ll be okay.